Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Long ago

Discussion in 'Forest Industry News & Comment' started by Mark., Feb 24, 2018.

1. Mark.

Mark. Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Mark
    A while back I started a thread & in it I had a few pictures of a few cedar logs. Shortly afterwards I made mention of how I was born into a FAIMLY of Sawmillers & Logers as far back as I can remember. Now I will have to be honest before I upload these pictures, I can't remember them ever using this same Power Plant. Wish I had pictures of this in use but no one around here had cameras. Hope I am posting this to the proper place.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  2. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    What is that used for?

3. Mark.

First name:
    Mark
    The steam boiler here also powered a cotton gin

• Like Like x 1
  4. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    Got to love history

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mark.

First name:
    Mark
    IN the first picture is the lower portion of what was the output or power. The wheels are missing off of it but if You look to the left, notice the large round part, that is the piston that works much like our conventional motors today. The same method is applied, it has a long piston rod & it is connected to the crankshaft that turns the 3" axels, that was where the steel wheels where. The main belt to all power source. The second picture. That is the original steam boiler & all the holes in it where the pipes where the steam was generated. Told You I was crazy. All You ask was what was that used for, it powered a very, very old sawmill. I still have the diesel motor that replaced it. That in its self is a story of it on. Have You ever heard of Buda Diesel? I c that has always beenould sit & talk on this subject all day & then some, but today I will spare You today. It's just my Love for Wood and its hold on me from day one

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  6. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    There's a steam powered sawmill still in operation close to where I live. Been there, and it is fascinating. Below is the link to their Web site. Chuck
    http://phillipsbrothersmill.com/

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    I am reminded of the sawmill operation at Cass, West Virginia. @mark, if you have never been up there and seen that wood cutting history, you have to go!

8. JR Parks

JR Parks Member Full Member

First name:
    Jim
    I like the then! Thanks Chuck

9. Ralph Muhs

Ralph Muhs Member Full Member

First name:
    Ralph
    Want to relive history at Cass WV? Go to Cass and ride the Cass Scenic Railroad. It is powered by a steam locomotive. You can stay the night in a cabin/home that was where the workers lived. It is both beautiful and sad! To read about the beautiful mountains once densely covered with red spruce trees, but all cut and gone now, is sad. It is said that they once grew so thick that it was like twilight in the middle of a sunny day. Now, like so much of West Virginia, it is all about erosion and pollution, and the poverty of those left to clean up what the out-of-state exploiters left behind. Nevertheless, there are places in West Virginia that are still stunningly beautiful, and I love retiring and living in one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
Current Time: 1:51 PM