Looking for a steady rest

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
My steady has come in handy many times. Got mine years ago from Jeff Nicol. Some cool wood came with it unexpectedly.

View attachment 219866
I made one modeled after Jeff's, he was getting swamped for a while making them along with Comfort style tool rests. I am sure my welding on my steel steady isn't as nice as Jeff's, but it's held up well. Seems like I only paid about $25 or so for the flange ring from MSC for those interested in making a steel version.

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
I made one modeled after Jeff's, he was getting swamped for a while making them along with Comfort style tool rests. I am sure my welding on my steel steady isn't as nice as Jeff's, but it's held up well. Seems like I only paid about $25 or so for the flange ring from MSC for those interested in making a steel version.
Tim, not had any contact with aJeff for years. As I recall he told me he was getting out of or cutting back on fabrication. Do you know if he is doing ok?

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Tim, not had any contact with aJeff for years. As I recall he told me he was getting out of or cutting back on fabrication. Do you know if he is doing ok?
No clue, hopefully staying healthy and spending time with family. He made some cool stuff…really liked his urban log hauler

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Here is mine Larry, it is my third, each time I improved it a little based on the shortcomings of the prior one. The ring is made of three layers of 3/4 ply. one layer of the ply is cut away to make a track for the arms. Used some Rockler knobs to secure the arms. Used allthread and a wood bottom plate (not shown) to secure the rig to the ways, about 14" diameter capacity. 5 arms might seem like overkill, but I don't regret it, I hollow a lot of gnarly stuff and I like the added stability. Only complaint I have with this one is humidity can cause the arms to bind in their track sometimes... oh yea, the wheels are roller blade wheels, picked em up cheap at Goodwill....

steady.jpg

steady1.jpg

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Very cool Barry, I picked up some brand new wheels at good will for just such a project. I just haven't decided if I want to use wood or metal for the frame. Your design is pretty cool for the arms being set into the wood to be more ridgid, I like that.

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is mine Larry, it is my third, each time I improved it a little based on the shortcomings of the prior one. The ring is made of three layers of 3/4 ply. one layer of the ply is cut away to make a track for the arms. Used some Rockler knobs to secure the arms. Used allthread and a wood bottom plate (not shown) to secure the rig to the ways, about 14" diameter capacity. 5 arms might seem like overkill, but I don't regret it, I hollow a lot of gnarly stuff and I like the added stability. Only complaint I have with this one is humidity can cause the arms to bind in their track sometimes... oh yea, the wheels are roller blade wheels, picked em up cheap at Goodwill....

View attachment 220123

View attachment 220124
Interesting design......I wonder how Baltic birch would work. I have some 12mm stock, if I doubled that with epoxy, it seem's to me that it
would be plenty strong....your thoughts?
Larry

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Interesting design......I wonder how Baltic birch would work. I have some 12mm stock, if I doubled that with epoxy, it seem's to me that it
would be plenty strong....your thoughts?
Larry
Baltic birch would probably be best, I used some "big box" grade stuff cause it's what was on hand. I used wood glue and screws for mine but epoxy would work great too. Thickness.of the ply is not that critical, I think 3 layers of 12mm would work, instead of 3/4 . like I said, I kinda went overboard on mine....

Last edited: