Looking for a tool sharpener

polyted

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Does anyone have a tool sharpener, something like a Tormek or a Work Sharp 3000 they would like to get rid of? My issue is that being bad at sharpening handtools with stones, I was using a set of Flexcut carving gouges that came razor sharp out of the box and with the included strop and compound I was able to use them for several months without resharpening. Recently they have gotten to the point of tearing wood more than cutting it. Getting a new set of gouges seems silly. Thought / offerings much appreciated!

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Does anyone have a tool sharpener, something like a Tormek or a Work Sharp 3000 they would like to get rid of? My issue is that being bad at sharpening handtools with stones, I was using a set of Flexcut carving gouges that came razor sharp out of the box and with the included strop and compound I was able to use them for several months without resharpening. Recently they have gotten to the point of tearing wood more than cutting it. Getting a new set of gouges seems silly. Thought / offerings much appreciated!

Have you looked into a sharpening service? It would be much more economical and since you only need it done every few months, it would be my first choice. A Tormek, even a used one, is very expensive. I've sent router blades to such a service and have had great success.

polyted

Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you looked into a sharpening service? It would be much more economical and since you only need it done every few months, it would be my first choice. A Tormek, even a used one, is very expensive. I've sent router blades to such a service and have had great success.
Good point, I guess I was reading up and watching various approaches folks take with their tools and many have a sharpening device. Paul Sellers (my role model) has developed a master hand sharpening technique over the years but I am not able to replicate his success. So, looking at sharpening services, seems like an average cost per tool is about $3-5? If I have a dozen of them, I'm thinking of the cost tradeoff versus having a dedicated machine. I guess investing in one has advantages at least for simpler sweeps?

WoodDoctor

Reaction score
First name
Greg
I am a wood turner and I use a grinder and or a Tormek to sharpen all gouges and scrapers. I am working on segmented bowls now and the glue makes it harder to hold an edge. I think the Tormek is a great choice. All tools perform more consistently when sharpened regularly.