(Closed) Looking for black locust logs in south east Wisconsin. (Thanks everyone!)

Hilltopper46

Reaction score
First name
Tony
A friend of mine is looking for two large saw logs of black locust within driving distance of Oconomoc (or so). Today we pulled my trailer about 2/3 of the way across the state to meet a guy only to have him not show at the wood yard even though we waited two hours. So when I say driving distance not limited to 100 miles one way or more.

Friend wants two logs minimum of 16 inches, 10 feet long - wants to have them milled into a variety of sizes of spindle blanks, largest 5x5 and some smaller.

Thanks in advance.

Tony R.

Hilltopper46

Reaction score
First name
Tony
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crickets chirping away here. I've also put a couple feelers out with tree services and personal friends. I'm not upset, just posting again to perhaps get my post count up to where someone could PM me and to bump this to the top again. Thanks for having this site and making it possible. :thanx2:

quags37

Reaction score
First name
Nick
My neighbor has a honey locust (or some subspecies without thorns planted in the '60s) trunk standing about 12 feet right now. Cut the rest of the tree 3 years ago. I'm in Whitewater. Not black locust, but as close as I can get right now. Let me know if you want me to talk to them.

Hilltopper46

Reaction score
First name
Tony
Thanks, but specifically looking for black locust. If he cuts that honey locust I might be interested in a little bit of it, but only a turning blank or two. I'm less than 15 miles from Whitewater.

Hilltopper46

Reaction score
First name
Tony
That's good to know. Actually we found a local tree service who has what we believe we need. We picked the logs up Saturday and have a local sawyer lined up to mill them.

Do you know about these guys? https://www.midwestblacklocust.com/contact

I have been looking at/for Black Locust out of curiosity mostly and found them. I don't know if they would sell a log, but I don't know why not.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Have you or your friend made anything out of the spindles from your black locust? Curious to see it because I just fell into 2 small trailer loads of black locust. And am wondering what type things were made and the visuals of course.

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
Thanks, but specifically looking for black locust. If he cuts that honey locust I might be interested in a little bit of it, but only a turning blank or two. I'm less than 15 miles from Whitewater.

I don't know why your friend is looking for black locust specifically but honey locust is a much prettier wood in my opinion anyway.

Hilltopper46

Reaction score
First name
Tony
I don't know why your friend is looking for black locust specifically but honey locust is a much prettier wood in my opinion anyway.

It's for the rot resistant qualities of the black locust. He has a project where the wood will be exposed to the weather.