Looking for burl caps and scraps in the 1.5" - 2" range for casting

MNTurner

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Hi All,

My first post so please let me know if I'm doing this right.

Short version:

Looking to buy a medium to large flat rate box of a variety of burl caps and scraps for casting.

Long version:

A good friend very recently opened a brewery for their "retirement hobby" and asked if I could make her a hybrid tap handle or two for their tap room. After we got talking, we thought it'd be a cool idea for the brewery to occasionally "debut" new tap handles during charity events and auction off a "sibling" tap handle to raise money for a local charity (they love supporting local animal shelters). The idea is the sibling tap handle would be from the same wood and resin pour as the one in the tap room so folks with taps at home can take a piece of the brewery with them.

We're not picky about a type of wood (especially since I can't tell maple from mars), but would love variety to make each debut unique. Individual pieces would only need to be big enough to cast 2 tap handles (2" on at least one side). I'm newer to casting, especially these sizes, but I think anything 2" x 2" would work great and I can fill in the rest with resin. If there's wood left over that was too small, I was thinking I could cast that into sibling pens to auction off as well.

As for quantity, I promised one to two, but they have 10 taps and I need excuses to get into the garage! I also want to clarify that I'm not seeking any discount! If anything, would be happy to pay extra if you are able to share something about the pieces that we can mention in the auction!

Below picture is a 'prototype' that I did for them (my first tap handle and casting at that size using waste wood, so be gentle).

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Andy

KOSQJLd.jpg

MNTurner

Reaction score
First name
Andy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have enough in the budget for at least one more box if there are other types of wood out there, too!

Wood_Coin

Reaction score
First name
Rhys
I have a bunch of Black locust caps I just pooled together finally. I would charge the same as Mike even. I will go grab a photo of what I have in a bit.

Wood_Coin

Reaction score
First name
Rhys
This is what I would be filling the box with if you were interested. Also I included a photo to show what the inside of those burls look like.

20181116_191845.jpg

20181113_210442.jpg

Bubby

Reaction score
First name
Phillip
I have these Mallee and some other pieces of burl live edge pieces if you're still looking

IMG_6675.jpg

IMG_6676.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

MNTurner

Reaction score
First name
Andy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubby

Reaction score
First name
Phillip
Wow, those look incredible. What price range are you asking for in these pieces? I'm getting a bit low on funds at the moment having picked up a few boxes already, so they may be out of my price range.
PM me