• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Looking for lathe (in all the wrong places)

ZenArtist

Reaction score
First name
James
I am new to wood turning and there is probably already a faq for it but I don't know where it is. I am mostly curious about finding a good lathe for Under $500. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Under 500$...look at rikon if you're going for new. They have a great 5 year warranty and great cs.
I have the 70-100, but wish i went with variable speed instead of manual belt changes.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Yup, I agree with what Marc said. Spend a little more and get the variable speed rikon. If your buying new it's the best bang for the buck. Look at the 70-220.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
James, I have a Nova Comet II that I have been meaning to list. If you want to come look and try it out you're welcome to. It's a good lathe, I just upgraded.

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
The question is also lacking what size of lathe you want. If it is a Midi then I would go with the Rikon suggestion but if you are looking for a larger lathe then the choices are far fewer. The Nova 14" DR is a good versatile lathe that falls in the Midi category but has variable digital speed readout and allows for bigger turnings due to it's larger swing radius but is around $600 - $650.

1624807489341.png

ZenArtist

Reaction score
First name
James
James, I have a Nova Comet II that I have been meaning to list. If you want to come look and try it out you're welcome to. It's a good lathe, I just upgraded.
Yes I would be interested! =)

ZenArtist

Reaction score
First name
James
The question is also lacking what size of lathe you want. If it is a Midi then I would go with the Rikon suggestion but if you are looking for a larger lathe then the choices are far fewer. The Nova 14" DR is a good versatile lathe that falls in the Midi category but has variable digital speed readout and allows for bigger turnings due to it's larger swing radius but is around $600 - $650.

I'm looking for something small, I am guessing. I am going to make table-top lamps with resin and wood and they will be cylindrical.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
If you can meet up with Tony, sounds like his might be just the ticket for you. He can also provide a lot of advise on what other tools you may need to accomplish your goals.

Q: what lengths will you be turning? Some of the smaller lathes have bed lengths that might be limiting depending on your needs. Of course, most have bed extensions that you can purchase.

ZenArtist

Reaction score
First name
James
If you can meet up with Tony, sounds like his might be just the ticket for you. He can also provide a lot of advise on what other tools you may need to accomplish your goals.

Q: what lengths will you be turning? Some of the smaller lathes have bed lengths that might be limiting depending on your needs. Of course, most have bed extensions that you can purchase.
The lengths will probably be no longer than 8 to 10 inches. The diameter not much more than 6 or 7 inches.

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
The lengths will probably be no longer than 8 to 10 inches. The diameter not much more than 6 or 7 inches.
Keep in mind that although Midi lathes may say 10" or 12" you are going to loose bed length with any attachments like a chuck, faceplate, live center, etc... Therefore, what Tim said about bed extensions would be an option to look for when buying a Midi. That's one feature I like about the NOVA DR, it has the 14" bed length.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I'm looking for something small, I am guessing. I am going to make table-top lamps with resin and wood and they will be cylindrical.
I think you will want the largest you can afford in a brand like nova. You can chuck small things in a big lathe but....
And those table lamps are pretty chunky for a small (pen lathe) size. I forsee buyers remorse if you buy a mini for this project, but I have been wrong before.

ZenArtist

Reaction score
First name
James
I think you will want the largest you can afford in a brand like nova. You can chuck small things in a big lathe but....
And those table lamps are pretty chunky for a small (pen lathe) size. I forsee buyers remorse if you buy a mini for this project, but I have been wrong before.
OK thank you, I will keep that in mind.

ZenArtist

Reaction score
First name
James
Not yet. My mother fell and fractured her hip and is now in a nursing home and my father was admitted to the emergency room just a few days ago. When I get a few more days I will try to get with Tony in San Antonio.

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
It was good to meet you in person James!