Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Looking for starter carving knifes for my wife

Discussion in 'Woodworking-Related Items For Sale, Trade, or WTB' started by Courtland, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Courtland

Courtland Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Courtland
    i have a set of chisels looking for some carving knifes I have never really done any carving but at my last show she saw some carvings and bought a walking stick (tree limb)to try and carve out (her idea) so i wanna try and intertain the idea and see where it goes idk exactly what I need so open to suggestions

2. greenmtnguy

greenmtnguy Member Full Member

First name:
    Alton
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  3. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Amazon is your friend! I recently picked up a beginners set of Flexcut Wood Carving Knives on sale at Peachtree Woodworking, but Amazon has them for about what I paid there on sale. And, they have a wide variety of kits to choose from. I personally figured at $20+ per knife, I'd start with the Beginners Kit and decide what else I need as I go along. Flexcut also offers the knives individually on Amazon.

Everything I'm reading on carving says you want to spend 90% of your time sharpening your tools and 10% of your time carving so you'll probably want a strop to go along with the set, and since plain old flat strops are $8=$9 on Amazon, and this Flexcut Strop for assorted chisels and knives is available for $14, might as well spend the $5-$6 and save yourself the hassle.

Current Time: 12:58 AM