Looking for wood (how broad is that)

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Looking for Poplar or Cherry at 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 30 inches long. Can not be less than stated sizes. I can work with a little wider or thicker. At least 2 pieces pretty clear and close grain. @Tony or @FranklinWorkshops or any one else that may have some.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Looking for Poplar or Cherry at 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 30 inches long. Can not be less than stated sizes. I can work with a little wider or thicker. At least 2 pieces pretty clear and close grain. @Tony or @FranklinWorkshops or any one else that may have some.
Ray, I found a 3 x 3 cherry piece originally cut for the post of a pencil post bed. It's 84 long. I can cut a section 31" big enough to make your two and send it as one piece if you don't mind. I will leave you plenty of wood to play with.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
After planing one section, I found an impeded knot. I ended up with a nice piece of 2 x 2 x 31 long. I'll cut a second one for your pieces if that is okay, assuming I find no knots.

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When ever you get it together Larry. No big hurry on my part.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I was able to get a very nice piece of 3 x 3 and it will make both your pieces. There is some nice curly figure on the quarter-sawn surfaces.
All four sides are shown below. It is 2 BF of 12/4 cherry which is $11 per bf so the wood is $22. I'll have to ship in a UPS flat rate box which will cost $17 for that size. So the total is $39.00 If this is within your budget, great! If not, no big deal. I can sell these all day long as peppermill blanks. There is a small pin knot on one surface but it appears to be very shallow and will easily cut out when you cut your final board dimensions. What do you think?

fullsizeoutput_5bbe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5bbf.jpeg

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Larry, that is nice but I need closer grain without the imperfections. Can you look around and see if you can come up with that request? If you can't, I really appreciate your effort Larry. These are going to be necks for some special 3 string cigar box guitars I am making for a couple of special friends and I want them to really look good. Hope you understand Larry.

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Thank you Larry. I appreciate your time and effort. We will connect down the line.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
@ironman123
Ray, I have a slab but it's still green. Cut in May, slabbed in June. If you're interested, let me know and I'll dig it out and take some pics.

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Thanks Eric but I found a guy at the edge of town that has some nice black walnut and regular walnut I am going to look at today.

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Brown Walnut with some creamy color in it. I call it regular.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Assuming the creamy color is not sapwood, you must be referring to marbled claro walnut which is a grafted area with English walnut. I have had some but its hard to get around here. This is a photo of a piece from the Wood Database.

claro-walnut-marble.jpg