Lumber prices.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
surprisingly though it appears 2x6 through 2x10 have gone up some but have not doubled or tripled like 2x4s.
looks like only a 20% to 30% increase in 2x6s vs 100% in 2x4s

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
read an article about canadian bug kill timber so rapid that it's decaying before they can cut and process it. thoughts were that 2 to 3 years out could be a dramatic shortage of available good timber to cut
Trev, that's not a very helpful "citation". Can you say where you read it? Can you name the bug or type of bug? Any specifics at all about where it's happening? (Canada is a BIG place).

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Trev, that's not a very helpful "citation". Can you say where you read it? Can you name the bug or type of bug? Any specifics at all about where it's happening? (Canada is a BIG place).
sorry paul when i went back to try and find the article i couldn't seem to locate it. i believe i saw it originally in a commodities articles list while i was looking at copper futures prices.

here is much the same info but i don't think it's the same article i first read

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
With the looting that was going on from early May and the phase of reopening in NYC, there was a great demand for sheathing/ plywood panels and 2 x 4’s. The plywood was used to board up the doors and windows of the boutique stores (to curb looting and destruction of the premises) and along with the sheathing and 2 x 4’s for outdoor cafe dining (framing and decking) due to social distancing; weren’t allowed to dine inside restaurants and cafes. There are a lot of construction going on in NYC. I am not saying we are the main culprit of shortage and hike in the price, but the city demands for the need and necessity was high for building material from May to now and still ongoing. The restaurants had to do it in order to stay afloat and stay in business- in a popular location in NYC, there could be 10 cafes and restaurants in one block! Then there are a lot of developments that are going up whether it is mid rise or high rise buildings.

Last edited:

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Also, with the low interest rates, home construction is way up and limited only by available skilled labor. And we've been hit with several major storms that also caused a huge demand for lumber to re-build. So just about every market force possible is hurting the prices of building lumber.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
I’m glad I got our deck built and screened in about this time last year. If I had to buy lumber for a big project I’d hedge the extra cost by investing in Weyerhaeuser or other lumber producers!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I’m glad I got our deck built and screened in about this time last year. If I had to buy lumber for a big project I’d hedge the extra cost by investing in Weyerhaeuser or other lumber producers!
I would short stock. Biden gets elected and economy goes down. Trump gets e
Letter and fear leaves market.