M&P 15 Sport or Ruger 556

Bean_counter

Reaction score
First name
Michael
So looking at getting my first AR. Anyone have this the M&P 15 or Ruger 556? Since this is my first I want to go entry level and from what I’ve seen both of these have great reviews. Anyone have one and what are your likes and dislikes. My first upgrades will probably be the hand guard, stock, and grip.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
No experience with either, but I’ve built several. If you can get your hands on a stripped lower, they are not very difficult to build and it teaches you a tremendous amount about the mechanics of the AR platform. Not saying you go that route, but it might be worth exploring.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
My coworker has the M&P 15, not positive which one as I understand they sell various models, but he likes it. He just wanted a basic .223 with no interest in upgrading.

Bean_counter

Reaction score
First name
Michael
No experience with either, but I’ve built several. If you can get your hands on a stripped lower, they are not very difficult to build and it teaches you a tremendous amount about the mechanics of the AR platform. Not saying you go that route, but it might be worth exploring.
Thanks Andrews. I was wanting to use this to get started and would likely build or have my next one built to the specs I’d like

SubVet10

Veteran, Electronics Technician, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I say build one. usually the cheapest way to get one with the options you want. Especially if you have a drill press.