1. To all members, we have made some changes to the rules. We encourage you to take a moment and re-acquaint yourself with the rules.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Madagascar Rosewood

Discussion in 'CITES, Import/Export, Timber & Forestry News' started by Kevin, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Kevin
    What pisses me off most is that they are saying all 28 containers of these logs will probably be destroyed!

2. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    That's alot of rupees down the drain. I know there are both sides to the bans, but sheesh, the government could finance buying a jet or 2 with the proceeds if they are saying it's worth 1 billion rupees. That's just crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    As china is sucking the wood out of there like a GIANT vacuum..........

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Treecycle Hardwoods

Treecycle Hardwoods Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    Wow! That is a lot of rosewood! I like the new section on the forum! Great Idea!

5. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    28 metric tons..... You'd think they could come with some way to put it out on the market with the Gov't making the money on it. At this point it's already cut down so it's not like it's going to magically regrow if they do burn or shred it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Not much different then burning all that Ivory- Did not save one damn elephant!!! Made good headlines for the Eco nuts. Make sense- You are kidding- It is the government- Make money?- the only way they make money is print IT!!! No sarcasm from me- nosireebob!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cabomhn

cabomhn Member Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    You can't trust any government to act with common sense and reason!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Kevin
    28 containers - 428 metric tons. Either way it's a bazillion call and pen and peppermill blanks and lots and lots of jewlery boxes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. NYWoodturner

NYWoodturner Wood Spinner Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Scott
    You probably won't see a video of it all being destroyed... It will just "disappear"

I like the new section!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. DLJeffs

DLJeffs Member Full Member

First name:
    Doug
    Because as someone said earlier "You can't trust any government..."

12. Alan Sweet

Alan Sweet Friendly Wizard Full Member

First name:
    Alan
    The Republic of Madagascar has been corrupt for years. Consider Bois De Rose ( this maybe the same wood). National Geographic and Dan Rather did report on how this wood was taken out of National parks and the various officials received kickbacks. To date at least China has taken over 7000 cubic meters (a cubic meter is about 424 board feet). This wood is beautiful. I have some very small samples of it.

Knowing the corrupt government, I doubt of that wood is destroyed. It will probably just "Disappear" and certain government elite will become just a bit richer. I bet they play a lot of golf.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  13. DLJeffs

DLJeffs Member Full Member

First name:
    Doug
    China isn't alone. Malaysian lumber companies have been raping the poorer countries around them. Google Earth a map of New Guinea. There is a graphic, straight line that delineates the border between Papua New Guinea and Irian Jaya. That's because the Indonesian controlled Irian Jaya sold out to Malaysian lumber companies and they came in and cut down everything and then cherry picked what they wanted and left the rest to burn. The local land owners made a pittance from the deal. Guess who got the biggest payout? Fortunately Papua New Guinea has been able to hold out, no doubt due in part from influence from Australia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NeilYeag

NeilYeag Member Full Member

First name:
    Neil
    Having traveled in that part of the world and lived in India for a while. I can tell you I don't think I know, I know I know.... not one stick of that will be destroyed. And guess what all of the black money from the proceeds wont go to feeding any homeless starving people..........

And most probably the people that were buying it will end up with it in the end anyway. Just have to re-distribute the pay out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ironman123

ironman123 Member Full Member

First name:
    Ray
    All of my thoughts on this have e been mentioned above. Good read.

16. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    @phinds can correct me but I believe bois d rose is dalbergia maritima and Mad rosewood is dalbergia baronii - not sure but that's my understanding.

17. Alan Sweet

Alan Sweet Friendly Wizard Full Member

First name:
    Alan
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    There is too much wrong info on wikipedia I almost always skip the wiki google result and never cite wiki as a source (most college professors do not allow students to cite wiki as a reference either). I'm not familiar with IUCN that's an interesting looking site.

19. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    @Alan Sweet that IUCN site is fascinating. A guy could get lost on it for hours on end, on a cold winter day when it's too cold to work in the shop even though he has shipments that need to be processed . . . :blush-33:

Blame Alan guys if your order is late.

:innocent:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. wade

wade Work with Your Brain, Hands, and Heart = Artist. Full Member

First name:
    Wade
    I think one of the MANY tragedies in China raping the East, and Madagascar of it's precious Rosewoods, is the fact that they make such shamefully ugly furniture out of these beautiful woods. And it surprises me so much that Governments can be so corrupt also. They could have stopped this a long time ago, if they wanted to.

• Agree Agree x 1
Current Time: 4:16 AM