Made a couple more pistachio call blanks

Don Van Dyne

Reaction score
First name
Don
Still need to finish these up but thought I would post a pic here. I would love to see other folks post pictures of their stabilizing and casting work!

841312E0-CD0B-41E7-836C-0D56E9BC5FD7.jpeg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Still need to finish these up but thought I would post a pic here. I would love to see other folks post pictures of their stabilizing and casting work!

View attachment 205561
Love that green and gold.
This is a large block pour for pen blanks using a really horrid oak burl. Will cut my blanks and then stabilize. I know its backward but as I said the burl was horrid.
Turned a kindergarten pen to see what it would look like turned.

16162693486137797513226972977700.jpg

16162693632548051682147463215232.jpg

16162693836162083491388040384756.jpg

16162695245128081766054601206931.jpg

Don Van Dyne

Reaction score
First name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Love that green and gold.
This is a large block pour for pen blanks using a really horrid oak burl. Will cut my blanks and then stabilize. I know its backward but as I said the burl was horrid.
Turned a kindergarten pen to see what it would look like turned.

View attachment 205578

View attachment 205579

View attachment 205580

View attachment 205581
That Burl is actually pretty cool! Good luck stabilizing those after you have casted them. I’ve never tried that before I would be interested to see how that goes.

Don Van Dyne

Reaction score
First name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those are nice!

I don't recall how much casting is pictured there, there is definitely stabilizing work pictured, but here's a thread showing off in this section: https://woodbarter.com/threads/whats-cooking.30281/
Thanks for that! You had some great looking pieces in that thread! Hope your still going at it and I would love to see more pictures. My wife thought it was a phase 2 years ago when I jumped into this but I haven’t slowed down a bit, just love creating these things!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Thanks for that! You had some great looking pieces in that thread! Hope your still going at it and I would love to see more pictures. My wife thought it was a phase 2 years ago when I jumped into this but I haven’t slowed down a bit, just love creating these things!

It's been probably 2 years, or fairly close to that, since I've done any stabilizing work. I have a tendency to, once I master something, get bored of it and move on to something else. After a lot of stabilizing work - at one point I had four vacuum chambers - I had decided it was time for a break for a while and to move on to another area of woodworking. I moved back into furniture building. But not long after that, we moved. More than a year after moving, my shop is finally pretty much set back up and ready to build. I've got a number of furniture projects lined up. Then who knows what area of woodworking I'll dive into next! Someday I will likely do some stabilizing again, but it's most likely to be just for myself, and maybe the occasional extra piece or two to sell. I did keep one chamber and my vacuum pump.

aag562

Reaction score
First name
Anthony
It's been probably 2 years, or fairly close to that, since I've done any stabilizing work. I have a tendency to, once I master something, get bored of it and move on to something else. After a lot of stabilizing work - at one point I had four vacuum chambers - I had decided it was time for a break for a while and to move on to another area of woodworking. I moved back into furniture building. But not long after that, we moved. More than a year after moving, my shop is finally pretty much set back up and ready to build. I've got a number of furniture projects lined up. Then who knows what area of woodworking I'll dive into next! Someday I will likely do some stabilizing again, but it's most likely to be just for myself, and maybe the occasional extra piece or two to sell. I did keep one chamber and my vacuum pump.
@Sprung so there are other people like me! I'm so glad that I am not alone in this world. I have the same type of mind set. Once climbing up to the peak of a skill I move on. As for acquiring all the skills to climb the peak in woodworking I know that I will be here for years and years. As a reference to where I am at, I just getting my backpack loaded for the clinb.