Mahogany?

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I don't know. I have seen Spanish cedar that looked similar, but the smell would have clued you if so.

4jo3

Reaction score
First name
Justin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definitely not Spanish cedar. I have Cuban Mahogany and genuine. I also have some Spanish. And it doesn’t look like either. I have yet to cross cut them. I was reading up on Mexican mahogany. The tree came from Florida.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
color doesn't look like mahogany. Why do you think it might be mahogany?

And by the way, "Mexican" mahogany (Swietenia humilis) cannot be distinguished from Honduran (or Cuban for that matter) outside of a highly professional wood lab.

Last edited:

4jo3

Reaction score
First name
Justin
I was told when I got it. They thought it might be mahogany.

My Cuban is much more orangey that my genuine if I recall. I only have a few pieces of Cuban. Lots of the other stuff thou. I will try and take a picture of all together. I’ll even Include the Spanish cedar I have. But the SC is boring and quartersawn.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Not mahogany, actually looks like 2 different species of something...
He's only asking about the outer two pieces, which do appear to be the same wood (but not mahogany), or am I jumping the gun and you actually were speaking with that in consideration?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
He's only asking about the outer two pieces, which do appear to be the same wood (but not mahogany), or am I jumping the gun and you actually were speaking with that in consideration?
No, your right....

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
What about Terminalia catappa, Tropical almond? Similar heartwood and sapwood. Also gets some wild grain.

Less commonly found in FL is Peltophorum pterocarpum, Copperpod...

4jo3

Reaction score
First name
Justin
Cuban, genuine, Spanish cedar and ???

dug out some bark that was inthe crack.

05AF5DAB-29F3-4D5D-A73F-2A6EDEEE29F8.jpeg

4D23F0EE-5F36-4B9F-AB64-ADD5033300A8.jpeg

4jo3

Reaction score
First name
Justin
I think it might be Peltophorum. Woodslabs has a bunch forsale that definitely look a lot closer than said mahogany.

9823A2A6-79B4-4B4B-B89B-C7FE1BDF4AB7.png

46F04E4B-A0BB-4B13-AACC-AA63C96B94E6.png

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I believe that is mango (mangifera indica)- spritz some water on it and you should get a sweet/sour aroma and a golden yellow color. Mottled figure is present in mango. I supplied a piece (it came from Hawaii though) to a luthier friend if you want to see a finish guitar out of it. Mango does have similar mahogany like face grain structure and density.

Last edited:

4jo3

Reaction score
First name
Justin
I have always wanted to get my hands on some luthier mango billets. This is definitely not luthier quality. But mango is a high possibility.

4jo3

Reaction score
First name
Justin
It could be mango. Smells sweet/sour.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
It could be mango. Smells sweet/sour.

I told you so :wink: :dance2:. Wet the slab and take a photo and post it. I’ve handled flat sawn material too and with similar grain make up as what you posted.

Anyhow, let me post the best quartered mango from Hawaii that has passed my hands - long gone and these were close to 4” thick.......lots of guitar sets. I’ll post 2 photo’s to give you an idea of the different figuring and color way (1st one is flame) and 2nd one is block mottled- I believe the color way on yours would be similar to this. The mango lumber in Hawaii has the coolest coloration that is yellow to yellow-orange that has peach, tans, greens, orange, grays, etc.. Like I said the grain make up is reminiscent of genuine mahogany including density......

E0825A43-96F5-4640-8A4E-7A800940C770.jpeg

A finished electric guitar below from a luthier friend of mine that I supplied the mango billet for (including the pernambuco fretboard)- different log as you can see how the colors are sprinkled in the face grain.......

719D030E-4E74-4641-ABBB-275C69C716F5.jpeg

Arn

4jo3

Reaction score
First name
Justin
Removed.

Last edited:

4jo3

Reaction score
First name
Justin
Very nice. I will post a pic in a bit. Do you have any acoustic sets you would sell or maybe trade?

I posted a picture of the two guitars I’m working on now. To the left is a Madagascar Rosewood set and on the right an East Indian Rosewood set.
B40AB040-95AB-43F1-AE1B-0626F380AA40.jpeg

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Not at the moment as I don’t have access to my stuff (which I mentioned to you earlier when we were talking about the PI).

Hey, open up a new thread in the instrument section for your builds so it doesn’t get buried in the for sale sections! Most folks here would probably love to see the process from beginning to end.

I like Madrose and I am digging that it is a dreadnought, however I am sucker for an OM. Let us know what the specs. are in each instrument!

Arn

4jo3

Reaction score
First name
Justin
Wetted pic. Lighting isn’t the greatest. The slab is heavy so I took a pic of it on my pile. I have three slabs are 3-4” thick.

F299D81A-28DC-4F2A-AB47-E3A2522F8479.jpeg