• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Making a lot of Turkey pot calls

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Site is appealing. A couple links did not work, and the testimonials were password protected so I could not view. Little more tweaking and it will be great. Chuck

Wildthings

ASTROS 2021 SEASON 37-28
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Very nice site. Yes the testimonials did not work for me either. It went straight to a password entry page

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
Only thing I noticed was pricing appeared on a few calls/strikers but not all. May have been because I'm viewing on my phone but I wanted to mention just in case. Love the detail in the strikers. What do you use as a live and dead center to turn them? I have issues with mine getting out of round due to wobble as they start getting thin.

DaveHawk

Reaction score
First name
david
Only thing I noticed was pricing appeared on a few calls/strikers but not all. May have been because I'm viewing on my phone but I wanted to mention just in case. Love the detail in the strikers. What do you use as a live and dead center to turn them? I have issues with mine getting out of round due to wobble as they start getting thin.

It took me a few to work the kinks out. The wobble being the worst. Slower speed. Nova lock down in the center and pinpoint tail stock. Not sure if I'm explaining it correctly. I have some pictures on my computer . I'll post a couple tomorrow if I remember. Really busy in the shop.
Also if you CV lock the picture of any call or striker the price will pop up with it. Or it should.

Last edited:

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Noticed that on the first screen showing the calls, it seems that the same call is shown with two different prices. One is $85 and the other with the same description is $55.
And another says that a quilted mahogany with African stiker is only $35.00. Should that be $85.00? $35 seems way too low.
Is "Black African striker" made of African blackwood? You might want to say that rather 'Black Africa."

Photography is excellent. Like others have said, many prices are not showing and I think you intended to show them.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 8.16.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 8.18.29 PM.png

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
It took me a few to work the kinks out. The wobble being the worst. Slower speed. Nova lock down in the center and pinpoint tail stock. Not sure if I'm explaining it correctly. I have some pictures on my computer . I'll post a couple tomorrow if I remember. Really busy in the shop.
Also if you CV lock the picture of any call or striker the price will pop up with it. Or it should.
Pics would be great if you get a second at some point. I have been cutting my striker blanks longer than necessary, chucking one end into my four jaw chuck, drilling a shallow pilot hole in the other end with a 60° live center in the tailstock. As I thin it down and get ready to part it off, I get terrible wobble.

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
I really like the graphics on the home screen. Very eye catching and well done.

DaveHawk

Reaction score
First name
david
Pics would be great if you get a second at some point. I have been cutting my striker blanks longer than necessary, chucking one end into my four jaw chuck, drilling a shallow pilot hole in the other end with a 60° live center in the tailstock. As I thin it down and get ready to part it off, I get terrible wobble.

I found the getting the thinner striking shaft to about a 1/8" to where it needs to be and finishing g the heavy end then going back and finishing the shaft. But working the piece with the grain makes all the difference. Extreamly sharp dime size and shape chisels. I only work the in one direction.
I guess that would make a good video to ?

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
I found the getting the thinner striking shaft to about a 1/8" to where it needs to be and finishing g the heavy end then going back and finishing the shaft. But working the piece with the grain makes all the difference. Extreamly sharp dime size and shape chisels. I only work the in one direction.
I guess that would make a good video to ?
Yes sir most definitely. I'm sure it'd help me out. I just started making calls last spring so I'm always learning.

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
Dave,

Nice looking website, easy to navigate, not cluttered, pictures are really nice. The "learn more" link doesn't work (points to https://www.morningsunturkeycalls.com/partners, where it should be https://www.morningsunturkeycalls.com/about-dave).

One thing I noticed about your calls....and please don't take this the wrong way....is I still see sanding and/or tool marks on many of them, and some of the holes have "fuzzies" still on them. As an example, the Brazilian Rosewood, Red Slate Over Slate....if I were going to pay $155 for the call, I would expect a near flawless surface and finish. Again, not saying the calls aren't worth your asking price, but a little more time sanding and finishing them would go a long way.

By the way, I really like the edge treatment on the quilted mahogany, best of luck with the sales!

-jason

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
Jason..I appreciate you pointing that out to Dave.

As someone who's been building em a few years, someone was honest enough to give me the same type critique a long time ago. It helped me immensely.

It really up'd my game.

Dave, I'll add to that learn to be your own worst critic. Strive for perfection...look at the call, I mean REALLY look at the call and don't quit on it until it's as perfect as it can be. For me, those that aren't end up in my bag (S) !

DaveHawk

Reaction score
First name
david
A couple gugs stopped by to check out the calls, One of them wanted to know what the pile in the corner was and I told them my junk pile , The guy pulled out a rosewood/ spalted maple glass top call , played it and said I'll take it . ya never know. I made that call 4 years ago.

Thanks for the critic's Being an artist (painter/print-maker in college) I live by critic's. As my 1st and great friend / mentor professor told the calls in painting 101; You learn from your mistakes. Ive been so focused on making the sound and varying tones , pitches that I've over looked a few details.