Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Why make your own? Because it taste way better than even the good store bought brands. They just can't take the time to make it like we can. It takes 6 to 12 months to make the good stuff, 18 moaths is even better. Its a very simple thing to do actually.
All you need is a mason jar, alcohol - vodka or bourbon, and some vanilla beans. And buy the cheapest alcohol you can get. This is one instance where you don't need the good stuff.
I purchased 10 grade A beans on Amazon vacuum sealed for $25. But you can use grade B for making extract and ill order some of them next week. It will still come out awesome! You'll need 5 to 6 beans per 8oz of alcohol.
20201108_102905.jpg
Next you'll need to slice the beans down the length of them to let the alcohol get into the seeds, sometimes called the caviar.
20201108_103301.jpg
I then cut them in half to be sure they stay submerged in the alcohol, but if you have a tall jar you don't have to do this.
20201108_103345.jpg
Next place the vanilla beans in the jar.
20201108_103453.jpg
Next add the alcohol, I had 10 beans so 16 ounces.
20201108_103635.jpg
Be sure to date your jar!
20201108_103647.jpg
Shake the jar once a day for a week or 2 in the beginning, and then whenever you think about it after that. Wait at least 6 months before using it, the longer you can wait the better. Ill be starting a couple more batches soon so maybe I can sample this at 6 months. The cost is comparable to store bought, but the quality is way better if you make it. I use real vanilla extract everyday in my coffee. I don't use artificial anything.
This is going to be delicious!

20201108_103301.jpg

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Coconut rum is my favorite alcohol to soak vanilla beans in, and the two flavors are very complimentary. Ten grade ‘a’ beans for $25 is a good price too. Putting together a kit would make a nice present for someone who likes cooking. Thanks for the reminder.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Very cool Greg, didn't know it was that simple to make your own, thanks man!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
We started some about 4 or 6 weeks ago. We found a pack of 25 grade B vanilla beans on Amazon for about $35. My wife is looking forward to using our stuff - a year from now. Like you, we're planning to start another batch in 6 months, always keeping some going, so we've always got the good stuff on hand.

We did some with vodka and some with bourbon. Next time around we want to do some with rum.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Do you have to seal the jar? And, if so, once you open it how long will it last?

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I had no clue about making your own vanilla! We've been buying Mexican vanilla because it tastes much better than regular store bought vanilla. Chuck

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you have to seal the jar? And, if so, once you open it how long will it last?
No you don't have to seal it, but I did use a new mason lid and ring so I can shake it every now and then. The alcohol acts as a preservative.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
@Sprung I did see those grade B's on Amazon, I'll probably buy those on the next paycheck.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Is the use rate similar to commercial extracts? And, is the type of alcohol noticeable if used in baking? I've got lots of bakers in the family, and may have just found a great Christmas gift!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Is the use rate similar to commercial extracts? And, is the type of alcohol noticeable if used in baking? I've got lots of bakers in the family, and may have just found a great Christmas gift!
It's the same process as commercial extracts to make it but you give it more time for a fuller flavor. Use rate is the same. The type of alcohol is not really important and unless you use flavored alcohols not noticable in baking. As far as Christmas gifts it would be for next year, lol.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
It's the same process as commercial extracts to make it but you give it more time for a fuller flavor. Use rate is the same. The type of alcohol is not really important and unless you use flavored alcohols not noticable in baking. As far as Christmas gifts it would be for next year, lol.
Thanks Greg. My thought was to give them all "kits" with beans and a swing top bottle then they could add their own alcohol, while at the same time starting a nice big bottle for myself.

drycreek

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I didn’t google it but I know that most artificial today comes from petrochemicals and years ago it came from a beavers but. Wife and I try to stay away from any artificial anything but it’s hard to do. We make our own vanilla.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I didn’t google it but I know that most artificial today comes from petrochemicals and years ago it came from a beavers but. Wife and I try to stay away from any artificial anything but it’s hard to do. We make our own vanilla.
still comes from beavers

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I have questions....

Does that make 16 oz of extract when it's finished?

Can you grind up the beans instead of leaving them whole, then drain it in a coffee filter after?

What do you do with the whole beans after?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Yes it makes 16 ozs.
Dunno about grinding them up, why would I?
Throw em out.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry

So, how is the extract extracted? By way of an enema, or killing the poor critter??? ........... Jerry (in Tucson)