Maple burl hollow form

Courtland

Reaction score
First name
Courtland
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the opening should have been a little smaller for myself that is the hardest part I have rarely thought that the proportions of the top of my hollow forms look right.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Looks fabulous to me. My only thought is that the texturing detracts a little from the beautiful wood figuring. That'd be cool if you could glue two pieces of wood together - one figured, one not. And put the texturing on the unfigured section.

Courtland

Reaction score
First name
Courtland
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree. The wood is very nice and you can’t really see the figure on the textured part

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Have I told you that you are crazy this month?? Very nice. You and family have a very merry Christmas

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I think the opening should have been a little smaller for myself that is the hardest part I have rarely thought that the proportions of the top of my hollow forms look right.
We are always our own worst critics!

Beautiful piece of wood, and I really like the feet and the carving / texturing. If I had one critique on the texture it is that the transition to smooth wood is so abrupt. Maybe have the carving get shallower as it meets the transition and eliminate the hard line?

I actually like the texture on top of the incredible figure of the wood. True, it interrupts seeing some of the figure, but adds another layer of interest that makes me want to look at it more.

The size of the opening looks fine to me and in proportion to the size of the form. If I were to change one thing on the form, I'd increase the slope from the shoulders down and narrow the base just a little bit. However, if you had done that, the feet may have looked out of place. Hard to tell from the pictures.

Really fantastic looking piece and kudos for having the guts to use these techniques on such a great piece of wood. I don't think I could have!

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
The texturing reminds me of hammered-copper sheet (which is often seen in pubs in England, on the bar tops and table tops). I like the effect, and you've done it nicely - but as a few other people have commented, I think I'd reserve it for wood that doesn't have the stunning figure of this piece.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Always like to see how you are progressing with turning burls. Your finish is looking really nice on this one.