Maple burls

Flacer22

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Cut a large sugar maple down today that was covered in burls hated to leave the ones on limbs in woods so I cut sections out of most of them and carried them out. They range in size from baseball to larger than a basketball. Thought I'd toss them up here on the trade section and see what kinda fun we can have haha. I can cut them however anyone wants. I'm open to about anything just wanna see some cool stuff get made!!

IMG_20200626_211125396.jpg

IMG_20200626_211135191.jpg

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
Kinda hard to see with all that Camouflage (moss and lichen) on them. Any chance of cleaning at least the burl parts you are talking about?

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Nice find. Glad you could save those burls by carrying them out. Do you find much buckeye burl in your neck of the woods?

Flacer22

Reaction score
First name
Andy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never seen any not much buckeye here in general really. We find quite a few Burls in woods but majority of them arnt real awesome burls most scar Burls or things of that nature these on this maple are more interesting than most we see

Nice find. Glad you could save those burls by carrying them out. Do you find much buckeye burl in your neck of the woods?

Flacer22

Reaction score
First name
Andy
or crack for wood turners...…...

Nice stuff @Flacer22 Andy, that must be a nice break in the work to stumble onto this type of stuff and understanding what it is.
Haha yes actually on a roll I cut another one down today covered in them.

Flacer22

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Don it's been a couple weeks since I was the cutter apprently those few weeks in the AC of the equipment got me fat and out of shape enough that today I was struggling badly just to keep pace with the skidder lol I didn't have time to take pics I dropped it made sure to leave any limbs even the smaller ones with Burls still attached to main log and got heck out of way of the skidder!

These pics were from job couple weeks ago but when she pulls 3-5 whole trees at a time and it's a short skid my fat butt can't cut and top that many that fast lol!

Screenshot_20200701-004353.png

Screenshot_20200701-004306.png

Screenshot_20200701-004315.png

Screenshot_20200701-004330.png