Maple hollow form

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
This is my first hollow form. I combined many experiments into this one piece. I cored a bowl blank I got from @Eric Rorabaugh and instead of making a smaller bowl, I made this. After hollowing it out to 1/4" thickness I stuck it in a bag of silica beads. When I took it out of them today, I checked the moisture and it was too low for my gadget to pick up. Super dry. The one thing I would do differently is make it a little thicker so I have a some material to take off to true it up. It got slightly oval so it was a pain to sand. I also forgot to put tape on my chuck jaws so they wouldn't stain the wood. All in all, I'm happy with the outcome. :)

20210527_151634.jpg 20210527_151734.jpg 20210527_151713.jpg 20210527_151700.jpg 20210527_151756.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Hard to believe this was your first hollow form! So many intricate features! Where do you buy silica beads? Chuck

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Nice piece. Being out of round is not necessarily a bad thing, it adds to the overall appeal and tactile feel. Turn to final thickness and do your power/hand sanding to at least 180 g then put it in the bag to dry. When dried remount and turn your lathe speed down as low as can and hand sand both rotational directions and stopped with the grain to final grit, the slow speed makes it easy to maintain contact.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Great job Barb! No way I would have every guessed that was your first one. I see more of these in your future!

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I would have never guessed that it was your first one. It's the product of a very accomplished turner in my view. Round bowls are for amateurs. It takes a real pro to turn an oval one! :wink:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice piece. Being out of round is not necessarily a bad thing, it adds to the overall appeal and tactile feel. Turn to final thickness and do your power/hand sanding to at least 180 g then put it in the bag to dry. When dried remount and turn your lathe speed down as low as can and hand sand both rotational directions and stopped with the grain to final grit, the slow speed makes it easy to maintain contact.
Thank you for the advice. I really liked making this so I'm going to do what you suggested next time. :)