Marijuana Pen

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
For some time I've been trying to come up with something unique (for me anyway) in the way of a pen. Before Christmas I and several turning buddies went in search of wood. We stopped at a friend's house and at one point we were presented with apparent wood and was asked to guess what it was. We couldn't guess correctly and was told it was an old marijuana stock. Before leaving a couple of us were given some stock material. It was stabilized and I turned a pen. I have been impressed with rdabpenman's water slide decal work and decided to give it a try. He also gave me some pointers in the process. The images show the stock and the final product. The finished product is pretty nondescript and unremarkable but it is something different. Now I can say that I've turned grass.

Marijuana Pen.jpeg

MJ stalk.jpeg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
With the lessoning of restrictions on industrial hemp, may have a new material to work with.... Might get some interesting results with dye?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Cool! I didn’t know the plants got big enough to yield solid pen blank stock.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Cool! I didn’t know the plants got big enough to yield solid pen blank stock.

One of the fastest growing plants on planet- I know for a fact they can get a stock the size of beer can and 12-13 feet tall. at that size though hollow inside, now getting info on how I know this might be a little dicey... I was not always old.

rdabpenman

Rifle Cartridge Pens/Braided Polymer Pen Blanks
Reaction score
First name
Les
Nicely done.
Looks a lot like deer antler.
Any reason you went with a black leaf rather than green?

Les

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
For some time I've been trying to come up with something unique (for me anyway) in the way of a pen. Before Christmas I and several turning buddies went in search of wood. We stopped at a friend's house and at one point we were presented with apparent wood and was asked to guess what it was. We couldn't guess correctly and was told it was an old marijuana stock. Before leaving a couple of us were given some stock material. It was stabilized and I turned a pen. I have been impressed with rdabpenman's water slide decal work and decided to give it a try. He also gave me some pointers in the process. The images show the stock and the final product. The finished product is pretty nondescript and unremarkable but it is something different. Now I can say that I've turned grass.

View attachment 176853

View attachment 176854

I have trouble setting the right pressures with my tail-stock. Often have slips. My luck, I probably would have smoked it....