Math Question

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
Is there a way to determine what the maximum diameter that can be turned from a square piece of wood?
For example You have a blank 2"x2" x10" Can you get a 2" diameter blank? Thanks John
20181219_162937.jpg

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
Max. Dia. of a square piece of wood ??? The way I find out is to first, find the center of smaller end then take a compass and set it in the center with one leg and touch one side with other leg, then sweep compass in circle, adjust center until you get a full circle around your square piece of wood. That will tell you your max size, then do as Jerry mentions above.
You just have to be extremely precise in centering it

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
John, the short answer is a square blank, centered precisely, will yield a diameter that is the same as the width of the sides. That being said, almost always off by about 1/16”, so always start with a blank with sides just a little more than final diameter wanted.

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Tim that is the answer I was looking for

John, the short answer is a square blank, centered precisely, will yield a diameter that is the same as the width of the sides. That being said, almost always off by about 1/16”, so always start with a blank with sides just a little more than final diameter wanted.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
I find center , use an awl to mark it and scribe a circle. That's only going to get you a close idea of what you can get out of the blank. Once its mounted you may end up taking more with your roughing out.