Mesquite Burls- To cut or not to cut... that is the question.

BandR

Reaction score
First name
Ruby
I have many mesquite burls that are quite large. Would it be better for me to cut it up or keep them in one piece?

20200617_133201.jpg

Don Van Dyne

Reaction score
First name
Don
If your wondering how to dry them I’m sure their are several people here who can give great direction on that. If you want to sell them you’ll have plenty of takers (me included!)

BandR

Reaction score
First name
Ruby
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As a whole burl the price is done by weight? Some of them are quite large.... I would guess they weigh at least 75 ps. How would I ship it? Also, does the moisture content effect price? I purchased a moisture meter and most of the burls are less than 7%, however I do have a few that are in the 30% range. I imagine it effects weight and will shrink as it dries? I apologize if these are silly questions. So much I did not know. You all have been great. Thanks in advance.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
No silly questions. The burls may show a low mc on the outside but if you cut them, the mc will be higher inside. It takes a long time to dry completely. Shipping whole would be EXPENSIVE!

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
JUST assuming that your might offer some of your Mesquite Burl for sale.
My approach would be to cut one or two of the large Burls apart at there thinnest spots. Now you have 3 or 5 smaller Burls. Weigh each one and decide on a price per pound and offer a few of the Uncut Burls at maybe a few dollar less per pound.
If you choose to fill custom size orders there is an amazing time and labor factor that must be added to the sale price.
Again if I where you I wood horde it all for my self but If you do desire to sale any or all I would definitely be a costumer.
Prince Hamlet - To buy or not to buy that is not the question but only to suffer the slings and arrows of time weighting for your answer.
To sale or not to sale?

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
IFF you decide to sell at any point, whole or in any size chunks, I would line up to be a customer. Mesquite burl is Amazing!
IFF you're looking for input, I would prefer pieces at least 1.5" thick and >12" long on some dimension, but that's just me.
In the meantime, posting mote photos of the beautiful wood would be highly encouraged. :-)
Thanks!

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I have many mesquite burls that are quite large. Would it be better for me to cut it up or keep them in one piece?

View attachment 189043
Ruby, are you sure that's not a mummified unicorn??

I find wood like that just about everywhere I go around the outskirts of Tucson. Love the look, but have never tried to sell any, so can't help..........

BandR

Reaction score
First name
Ruby
JUST assuming that your might offer some of your Mesquite Burl for sale.
My approach would be to cut one or two of the large Burls apart at there thinnest spots. Now you have 3 or 5 smaller Burls. Weigh each one and decide on a price per pound and offer a few of the Uncut Burls at maybe a few dollar less per pound.
If you choose to fill custom size orders there is an amazing time and labor factor that must be added to the sale price.
Again if I where you I wood horde it all for my self but If you do desire to sale any or all I would definitely be a costumer.
Prince Hamlet - To buy or not to buy that is not the question but only to suffer the slings and arrows of time weighting for your answer.
To sale or not to sale?
Thank you so much for your help! I have begun cutting into smaller chunks and posting for sale. So much fun.

BandR

Reaction score
First name
Ruby
IFF you decide to sell at any point, whole or in any size chunks, I would line up to be a customer. Mesquite burl is Amazing!
IFF you're looking for input, I would prefer pieces at least 1.5" thick and >12" long on some dimension, but that's just me.
In the meantime, posting mote photos of the beautiful wood would be highly encouraged. :-)
Thanks!
I have begun to post some burl chunks. I have a few that are 12" long.