• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Milling 3 big oaks

West River WoodWorks

Reaction score
First name
Tom
So I picked up these three logs almost a year ago for a friend. Well I broke my foot a couple weeks later and then we couldn't get to milling till recently. Thankfully he had 10 people show up to help with these. Made a long but fun day for us and the ole mill! 20201127_193006.jpg 20211023_152453.jpg 20211023_103224.jpg FB_IMG_1635032540883.jpg 20211023_184105.jpg

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Nice mill and logs/lumber. Did you clean the sawdust off the grass after you were done? I have a few logs milled by a guy and he put a tarp down first to catch all the sawdust. When he was done he just rolled it up and scouped the sawdust into the trash.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Wonderful load of lumber! There's enough here for a few projects! Please let us know what you will be building -- would love to trace the journey of the logs into projects! Chuck

West River WoodWorks

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Nice mill and logs/lumber. Did you clean the sawdust off the grass after you were done? I have a few logs milled by a guy and he put a tarp down first to catch all the sawdust. When he was done he just rolled it up and scouped the sawdust into the trash.
No tarp, homeowner put in the garden.

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
I just suggested the tarp idea after I saw it. Much easier than raking it out of the grass. I use one when I split on my rock driveway and into the trash it goes. Some woods like walnut aren't good for plants. Noodles do go in the flower beds though.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Can't say I have ever put sawdust in the trash. Have you?
All the time, I have no garden and can't really do anything with it.
I just suggested the tarp idea after I saw it. Much easier than raking it out of the grass. I use one when I split on my rock driveway and into the trash it goes. Some woods like walnut aren't good for plants. Noodles do go in the flower beds though.
I use a tarp when I chainsaw mill, yes it does make the clean up so much easier.