Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I ordered and received this Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw a few weeks ago and I finally got a chance to use it and try it out today. It uses a negative rake carbide tipped blade.
20200819_182612.jpg 20200819_183020.jpg
With the blade cover removed you can see how the blade is shrouded to collect the chips in the cover.
20200819_183052.jpg
This is the cover, it works like a chip cup to catch the chips.
20200819_183117.jpg
This was a pretty serious test for the saw I think. Its a sheet of 1/4" 1045 plate steel. It cut like butter, very impressed with the performance. I set the blade depth 1/4" bellow the surface of the plate.
20200912_115536.jpg 20200912_120715.jpg
Chip catcher works well, catches about 90% of the chips. You do need to wear gloves when you remove the cover to dump it as it catches blue hot chips!
20200912_121041.jpg
Overall I'm very impressed with the saw, typical Millwaukee high quality. Came with a case too. Years ago I would have never imagined I would be cutting steel plate with a carbide tipped circular saw, but man this thing works awesome!
I have future projects planned where I will be cutting very thick aluminum plates and this thing will make short work of that.

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
That's an amazing saw! I had never heard of one until you posted this earlier. Incredible technology with that blade, curious to see how long that blade lasts for you.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Never seen one of those. Very interesting I think I will do a little research on them, looks like a real handy tool.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was it loud?
A little, not ridiculously loud. But just like when I. Running a jointer or planer I wear ear muffs. I already have a pretty good hearing loss and just try to protect what I have left.
Actually I was very surprised at how smoothly it cut.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
That's an amazing saw! I had never heard of one until you posted this earlier. Incredible technology with that blade, curious to see how long that blade lasts for you.
They say the blade will out last several fiber blades. But the real advantages to it are that it cuts quicker, throws less sparks, cuts cooler so it wont work harden the edges, and it cuts very precise clean edges. It'll last me a long time as I cut more wood than I do steel, lol. But I can and do work steel as well so it will be a usefull tool for me.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Never seen one of those. Very interesting I think I will do a little research on them, looks like a real handy tool.
There are other brands out there, but the Milwaukee is considered the best and more reliable and longer lasting. I have been very happy with my Milwaukee tools. Money well spent.

Don Wood

Reaction score
First name
Don
Nice saw. Friend of mine bought one and we used it to cut up sections of bowling alley lanes. It cut right through the hardened nails they use to nail wood pieces together to make the lanes.