Monthly Challenge...With poll. (2018 - Oct)

Choose your favorite October Challenge entry submission....see thread.

• 1. Bowl

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 2. Rings

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 3. Bottle stopper

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 4. Chalice

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 5. Box top inlay

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
Are you ready for this months challenge?

For this challenge I am looking for a project made from any type of wood that includes an inlay. The inlay must be something other than wood.

Have your project picture posted in this thread by 6pm EST October 29th. Describe your process of how you achieved the inlay of your project description. Once all entries are in I will created the poll and everyone will have 72 hours to vote for the big kahuna :zuludrummer:

Dust off those :saw: and get cracking :nodice:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, I’ll post the first project...

This is a chalice made from Crape Myrtle that my son gave me from a retreat he went to last spring break in North Carolina. The inlay material is twist copper wire, I wanted to achieve a rope-like effect. The crack was filled with coffee grounds and it is finished with teak oil and bees wax.

upload_2018-10-8_15-31-52.jpeg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Very cool Lou, I like the effect the twist wire gives it!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Okay, here's my humble piece. I got several of these glass pieces from @rocky1 awhile back and finally got around to doing something with one. Soft Maple with a butterfly inlay. Thanks Rock! Tony
20181018_183141.jpg 20181018_183212.jpg

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Cabuchons - AliExpress

Available in a wide assortment of sizes, colors, themes, shapes. Assortment packs available in numerous themes. The Dragon Cabuchons are seriously cool! Clocks are really cool too.

And... Very Affordable!!

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
This is not recent stuff, but maybe we can get this thread going again, the first is a piece of desert ironwood with malachite and abalone. I bought some 1/2" square malachite beads from a jewelry place, made a little dremel jig and split them in half to make 2 inlay tiles. I had a few abalone shells, and used one to cut out those pieces, a ton of work, that stuff is hard! it's about 9" diameter

198.jpg

Next is some bangles I was making for a while, turned out to be way too much work to make any money from.... used various stone beads for inlay on these too, and some with copper...

211.jpg

Last edited:

pinky

Reaction score
First name
John
I'm hoping to get something done by the end of the month. I have some time into this but not enough hours in the day.

pinky

Reaction score
First name
John
Finally was able to finish enough to photograph. Planning on another coat of oil and wax. This is a keepsake box with an inlaid lizard skin that I got here on a trade with @samupton. The box is curly apple from a tree I cut down and milled about 5 years ago. A recess was routered out of the lid using a home made template. The lizard hide was glued to 1/8" plywood and set in. I really liked the look of the hide with the unfinished apple. Once I put oil on the apple, I don't like it as much due to the color change in the wood. Thanks for the challenge. Been meaning to try this for a couple years!

IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That is great John! I remember when he offered those skins, I wanted to get some but couldn't figure out what I would do with them. I wish I had come up with this, very nice! Tony

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Finally was able to finish enough to photograph. Planning on another coat of oil and wax. This is a keepsake box with an inlaid lizard skin that I got here on a trade with @samupton. The box is curly apple from a tree I cut down and milled about 5 years ago. A recess was routered out of the lid using a home made template. The lizard hide was glued to 1/8" plywood and set in. I really liked the look of the hide with the unfinished apple. Once I put oil on the apple, I don't like it as much due to the color change in the wood. Thanks for the challenge. Been meaning to try this for a couple years!

View attachment 154847

View attachment 154848

View attachment 154849
Noe that is some cool inlay!