Mounting elk antlers

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I'm working on a trade with my neighbor. He has a nice old model Ping putter I want. He also has a pair of elk antlers he wants to mount so he can hang them on the wall. He's seen me doing some wood working in the garage and made the first overture about maybe I could mount his antlers in trade for that putter. So I'm looking for any advice about working with antler and especially for the best way to attach the antlers to a board for hanging. I haven't seen the antlers but some elk horns are pretty darn big and sticking them out horizontal to the floor would generate some pretty high forces. So the attachment has to be able to handle all that force. Thanks in advance to any and all that send some advices, words of caution, suggestions. Well, except for suggestions to improve my putting...I have way too many advisors for that already.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I'm working on a trade with my neighbor. He has a nice old model Ping putter I want. He also has a pair of elk antlers he wants to mount so he can hang them on the wall. He's seen me doing some wood working in the garage and made the first overture about maybe I could mount his antlers in trade for that putter. So I'm looking for any advice about working with antler and especially for the best way to attach the antlers to a board for hanging. I haven't seen the antlers but some elk horns are pretty darn big and sticking them out horizontal to the floor would generate some pretty high forces. So the attachment has to be able to handle all that force. Thanks in advance to any and all that send some advices, words of caution, suggestions. Well, except for suggestions to improve my putting...I have way too many advisors for that already.

Are they two separate pieces or are they still connected to a skull?

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are they two separate pieces or are they still connected to a skull?

Oops, good question I should have anticipated. They are two separate antlers, not attached to the skull. He might have even said they weren't book matched.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
If you meant they weren't a set by saying weren't booked matched I'd make sure that they are really REALLY close, so close that you can't tell that they aren't. I've seen bunches that aren't a set and they look bad, which in turn is you looking bad.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Are they cut off at the burrs or do they still have some of the pedicles attached. This is right up my alley LOL. If they are still attach to a skull cap would be the easiest but it sounds like they are 2 separate horns. From underneath drill up into the horn with a large enough bit that a bolt or lag bolt can be bondo'd in the hole. Build an wooden aperture that they can be bolted to and covered with fabric (leather) than that can be attached to a plaque that can be hung on the wall

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Hi Barry,
Thank for chiming in. Sounds like you've done this before and therefore are just the person I'm looking for. The antlers are sheds, not cut off. They still have the mushroom-like bumps around the bottom and the attachment points slightly bulge outward and look like porous bone. I've seen a You Tube video of a guy building two casting that will secure lag bolts that he screws into the antlers. You answered one question I had, that being that the lag screws aren't threaded into the antlers but are glued in, right? I figured the antler would crack if I tried to thread in a bolt or two. Will a single bolt hold these antlers? They seem pretty big, e.g. they'll create quite a moment force on that bolt. Another question, is it possible to build a wooden block with the appropriate angles to attach the antlers so they look natural? The video I saw had the guy making these castings in empty soft drink cans and he puts a 3/4" board under one side so the castings form on an angle.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Hi Barry,
Sounds like you've done this before and therefore are just the person I'm looking for.
Many times but mostly with Whitetail antlers and a few with elk

Hi Barry,
I've seen a You Tube video of a guy building two casting that will secure lag bolts that he screws into the antlers. You answered one question I had, that being that the lag screws aren't threaded into the antlers but are glued in, right? I figured the antler would crack if I tried to thread in a bolt or two. Will a single bolt hold these antlers? They seem pretty big, e.g. they'll create quite a moment force on that bolt. Another question, is it possible to build a wooden block with the appropriate angles to attach the antlers so they look natural? The video I saw had the guy making these castings in empty soft drink cans and he puts a 3/4" board under one side so the castings form on an angle.

I would not screw the lag/bolt into the shed - you may crack it! Drill an oversize hole up into the antler base from the white porous side. As big as bolt that you can get in an oversize hole or a section of all thread. Build whatever it takes, wood, bondo, fiberglass etc or a combination of 2 or more of those to mount the shed onto. Mount the bolts into your platform and test fit (slide) the antlers over the bolt. There should be some wiggle room to adjust the sheds' angle to match each other. Now fill the hole on the antler with your adhesive, 2 part epoxy, bondo, bubble gum etc. Put a sandwich bag over it which keep the goop from coming out. Flip the antler over and slide it back onto the exposed allthread at the correct angle you determined earlier. Hold it in place till it sets. Then live it over night to cure. Do the other side the same way to match the first one. Now use foam and/or plaster to form you a skull cap, let it dry and cover with felt, leather, spray flock it, paint it or whatever. Screw onto a wall plaque and be sure to sign the back of it. All thread is my fav since I can cut it to any length and really get a good length up into the antlers on elks.

Here's a pretty good write up on a great site.
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,265403.0.html

Van Dykes taxidermy Supply
McKenzies Taxidermy Supply

Both of those will sell supplies to the public

Barry

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
You've been extremely helpful Barry and I thank you very much. I think this is enough to get me started. I think I'll go investigate various types of adhesive fillers like bondo. And I better find a few photos of elk and study how their antlers are angled, etc. I'll check what sort of supplies those supply houses offer.