• Woodbarter Hats Are Available!!! Scroll down on the main page to the Member Activities & Site Support, Then click on Wood Barter SCHWAG and go to the topic Woodbarter Hats 2022 to order your hat. There's only a limited quanity, so don't wait to get yours.

Mulberry

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Really? I know most first flush harvests are really sour here in Taiwan, but the late flushes are super rich, dark and mellow. Mulberry wine is one of the few fruit wines that actually improves significantly with aging. A lot of fruit wines will only retain a good flavor for a few years once bottled. I’m actually working on a mulberry bow at the moment as well. Fruit of the year for me!
Lordy, that was pert near 40 years ago. I just remember that the squeezin's wasn't sweet enough to yield a 12% wine - so had to add some sugar to bring up the brix. Added the yeast - popped on the air lock and let it go. Maybe bad yeast - maybe my calculations for sugar was wrong, or maybe my refrac was off that day or somethin, but it never got past mogan david sweetness. Went ahead and took it till I thought fermentation was no more and put it in bottles to see if it would age like port or so. Of the five bottles - 4 popped their corks - fermentation wasn't over. The fifth - I don't know what became of it. I stored most of the homemade in the the crawlspace and occasionally would have increases in silverfish and they would eat the labels and would not know what was in the bottles. After that I started marking them with white wax pencils and labels.

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Yeah, I can’t figure this quote thing out.

Interesting! Allergy is why Ed wants this one cut. Now I’m wondering if this was a native tree or part of landscaping. I don’t think the house is as old as the tree, though, so I’m leaning toward native I’ll find out when I cut it, I guess.

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Yeah, I can’t figure this quote thing out.

Interesting! Allergy is why Ed wants this one cut. Now I’m wondering if this was a native tree or part of landscaping. I don’t think the house is as old as the tree, though, so I’m leaning toward native I’ll find out when I cut it, I guess.
Ken--the "Quote" button in a post allows for quoting more than one post in your response somehow, i've not gotten the hang of that (probably has to do with the "Insert quotes... button below the message i'm typing).

For me to quote your post above, in your message i clicked the Reply button instead of Quote, that does what i think you were meaning to do. That seemed illogical to me, but then i realized Reply means Reply to This Message While Quoting What This Person Said--so i've gotten better at it!! Hope that helps.
earl

Last edited:

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
is that in response to my post, if so

fruiting mulberry produces a ton of pollen that causes allergies i suppose, additionally there are restrictions o fruiting olive trees due to pollen allergy issues
It’s also an incredibly invasive species that can absorb lots of water if given the opportunity. It’s one of those trees that will adapt to just about any environment and the seeds are quickly dispersed by birds.

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
There’s enough water that I cut a small 4” diameter down in early March 2021, tossed 2 sections 6’ long on a pile. 6 months later they were still producing green leaves.
Regarding birds dispersing seeds, the volume of dispersal increases if you wash your car. Immediately.
Earl