Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
This is going to be about installing the multi tool belt grinder on a 1hp 7amp bench grinder. This could also be useful for some knife makers without making a huge investment on a 2x72 grinder. I do some metal working so this smaller size grinder will be useful for me. This is a 2x36.
I also picked up an assortment of belts for it.
20210113_195905.jpg
Everything you need to install it is in the box.
20210113_195948.jpg 20210113_200011.jpg
This is the grinder its going on.
20210113_200052.jpg
I'm going to clean it up a bit, remove the broken lights, wheel dressing tool holder, and the broken quench cup.
20210114_085802.jpg
Removed.
20210114_090148.jpg
Then I flipped it over to remove the bottom cover and get at the wiring. Just removed 4 screws and the rubber feet.
20210114_090203.jpg
The wiring is now exposed so I can remove the broken and useless lights.
20210114_090343.jpg
More to come as time allows.........

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Old lights are removed, I just need to make a cover plate to cover the hole where the wires ran through.
20210114_194750.jpg
So here it is all cleaned up and any unnecessary brackets removed. Amber eye shields that I hated and never used are also gone! I wear safety glasses or a face shield when grinding.
20210114_195725.jpg
Next I removed the bolts holding the wheel cover on.
20210114_195742.jpg
Removed the cover, and the nut holding the wheel on. I marked the wheel with the grit, its still a good wheel that may get used later.
20210114_200308.jpg
Then I removed the 3 screws holding the inner housing on.
20210114_200417.jpg
Once everything was stripped from the grinder I wire wheeled the shaft to clean it up.
20210114_200926.jpg
And now it's ready for the multi tool attachment to go on.
20210114_200945.jpg
Now was a good time to wipe everything down with wd40 to clean it up.
20210114_200958.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
First part to go on is this flange, it's tapered and only goes on one way.
20210114_201723.jpg
This piece is also tapered to match the first piece, 3 bolts lock it on. These 3 bolts can also be loosened to change the position of the attachment, horizontal, vertical, pointing down or anywhere in between.
20210114_202529.jpg
Next piece goes on loosely with 2 big bolts, it will get adjusted for tracking later. This was the most fiddly part but was pretty easy actually.
20210114_202912.jpg
It's getting there. Pretty nice attachment, sturdy and good quality.
20210114_202920.jpg
Drive wheel mounted easy, this is also what the 7" disc will attach to. It's also very nicely machined and runs true.
20210114_203434.jpg
Next I put the belt on and turned it by hand to adjust the tracking, this was on and off a few times until I got it right. Now I can adjust it with the tracking lever.
20210114_204452.jpg
Then I loosened 2 bolts to adjust the platten.
20210114_204644.jpg
Belt centered up nice.
20210114_204659.jpg
Nowhere in the instructions does it tell you when to mount the guard, lol. So I had to remove the drive pully to do that. 3 bolts and nuts hold it on.
20210114_205742.jpg
And the pullys back on.
20210114_210640.jpg

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
This is the tracking adjustment lever. I got the belt to run centered with this lever in the center position, that way I have adjustment in both directions. 20210114_210811.jpg
I need to get the shaft nuts tight before I install the disc grinder cover.
20210114_210700.jpg
The installation of the attachment took me about an hour tonight after work. Not quite done but tomorrow is another day. Can't wait to test it out. The old craftsman grinder is a beast and shouldn't have any trouble driving this belt attachment. Amps is where it's at with a grinder, and this one is a strong 7 amps.

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Thanks for all the pics and explanation. That looks like a really well built unit, ought to be handy for lots of tasks.

I know nothing about belt grinders, do most of them run at high(er) speeds?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Thanks for all the pics and explanation. That looks like a really well built unit, ought to be handy for lots of tasks.

I know nothing about belt grinders, do most of them run at high(er) speeds?
Thanks, I've been stepping up some of my metal working and fab tools. This will make a nice addition to my grinders. It will also buff and polish with a simple belt change. Yes most metal working grinders and sanders run at higher rpm. Wood working sanders usually run slower so as not to burn the wood, but not always.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Got all the wheels tightened up, and the disc platten screwed on.
20210115_085231.jpg
Before I put the grinding wheel cover back on the other side I gave the screws the wire wheel treatment. Before........
20210115_085431.jpg
After.
20210115_085621.jpg
Full test coming soon.......1

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I love this stuff. Very cool topic.
What is the use for horizontal as opposed to being vertical?

and side not, did you ever do a build topic on those plywood boxes on the wall?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I love this stuff. Very cool topic.
What is the use for horizontal as opposed to being vertical?

and side not, did you ever do a build topic on those plywood boxes on the wall?
This grinder attachment actually has 4 uses or contact points. At the front wheel, on the top platten, the bottom is a slack belt, and on the disc. Only reason I would want to tip it up is if I used the slack belt spot more. I'll see how the positioning of the wheel is after I mount it back on the stand, I may lower it a bit if it's too high.
As far as the plywood boxes......
I may have way back when wood barter was first started, lol. Those are all made from scrap plywood and a sheet of tempered hardboard.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
thanks for this Greg. That really looks to be well built!!!! Wish I had a grinder that would run it; my metal shop one is just a small, old 6 inch craftsman. But now I have something to look for at pawn shops and garage sales!!!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
@Gdurfey amps is everything when it comes to choosing a grinder. I have 2 8" grinders that are 7 amp and one 8" that is only 3 amp, that one will be converted to a wire wheel machine. You don't need a lot of power to run wire wheels, too much power with wire wheels just destroys the wheels and it can rip things out of your hand.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Looks like a really useful modification Greg. I wonder if they make something like that in the triangular shape I've seen in some shops?

One question - it looks like the belt tension is done using that cylinder with the warning sticker on it. But I don't see how the adjustment is made. Is that cylinder hydraulic or something? Or do you turn that big bolt head on the grinder motor side of the cylinder?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
@DLJeffs
Neither if you look at this pic there is a lever on the left side, quick and easy to adjust. The cylinder is spring loaded for belt tension
20210114_210811.jpg .

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Ok, I thought that lever was to adjust any angle between the drive pulley and the slave pulley so the belt would not wander from side to side.

So to change belts, you loosen the bolts that hold the slave pulley extended, allow the cylinder to retract, remove the old belt, slip on a new belt between the guard and drive pulley, slip it over the slave pulley, extend the cylinder, re-tighten the bolts, and then make final adjustment using that lever. Am I seeing it correctly?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
@DLJeffs
No, changing belts is way easier that that, lol. All you do is push down on the slack side of the belt, that compresses the tension spring and a lock drops into place. Then you slip the old belt off, slip the new one on, and release the lock to tension the belt. It literally takes a few seconds.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Well I finished up the grinder upgrade today.
This is how you change the belts, just push down on the slack side and it compresses the spring and a lock drops down and holds it closed. You switch the belts and release the clock, it snaps open and automatically tensions the belt.
20210116_151241.jpg
This is just a piece of scrap sheet metal I cut off to make the block off plate for the old light cord pass through.
20210116_153227.jpg
This is what needs to be covered, no one will ever see it but I know its there and it will keep the crud and spiders out, lol.
20210116_153509.jpg
So I mounted the grinder back on the pedestal so I could use it to clean up the block off plate.
20210116_153531.jpg
It cleaned up the hack sawn edge, rounded the corners, and I gave the surface a grind and iBooksike a brushed finish.
20210116_154435.jpg
With the block off plate complete and the grinder pushed back in place I'm calling this job done.
20210116_154847.jpg
Thank you Trick Tools!
20210116_155500.jpg
My review of this grinder is that it is one of the best $230 I have spent on a tool. It totally transformed the grinder. It removes material very quickly and yet it's smooth enough for finer detailed work. I'm anxious to try out the scotchbrite burnishing belt too. It runs smooth and tracks perfectly. I may purchase the table (which is an accessory) for the disc. A part time knife maker would probably dig this in their shop. It's well made and sturdy, was easy to install and came with all the necessary hardware to install it.
For my fabrication needs and tool making this will be great for me. I chose the 36" size because its compact, belts will be slightly cheaper, and the short belt will have less flex when heavy grinding. A knife maker would probably prefer the 48" size, and maybe even the 8" front wheel version, however that takes a pretty good price jump. I already had an extra grinder that had big power so this was very inexpensive for me to get into. I have another big 1hp 7 amp grinder so using this one for the belt attachment was a good choice. I could even mount another one on the other side one day if I needed to. I give this tool 2 big thumbs 👍👍 way up

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
So I have had a chance to play with this tool quite a bit lately. I also ordered some various grits of ceramic belts to try out. They definitely last longer and also seem to run cooler. Now about the grinder....its freaking awesome! Once you set the tracking which only takes a few seconds it stays where you set it. It runs smooth and only takes a few seconds to change belts to a different grit. This has become my favorite grinder! I'll be grinding a chunk of stainless steel for a tool rest soon. I know how hard it is to grind this plasma cut stainless so it'll be a great test for it. This is a great addition to my metal working tools. I would buy this again in a heartbeat because it's such a great tool.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
I loves these kinds of threads... very cool! Sounds like you made a great purchase for the shop.