phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Occasionally I need a whacker that is softer than a steel hammer and harder than a rubber mallet and, being the professional that I am, I just smack things with a two by four, or a smaller piece of wood if that's what's called for or just whatever's laying around, unless it's the dog.

having seen lots of mallets on the woodworking forums, I thought I'd do one, so I did. I just cannot seem to get away from lamination/segmentation so naturally I had to laminate it.
The intent was to have the handle have a cross section like a rectangle with semi-circle on each edge, pretty much like you get on claw hammers, but I got carried away on the lathe and turned it down round which looked fine although it did strip off almost all of the canary. BUT ... it really sucked in terms of giving me a solid grip so then I glued on some tapered wings along most of the length and wrapped/glued some soft cotton clothesline around it and got it back to the shape/grip I wanted. Looks crappy but feels great. Has just the grip I want.

The handle is a split piece of cocobolo with maple veneer on the inside and canary wood on the outside with two little chunks of paela to make the bulbous end. I didn't like the really sharp edges so I rounded them over with a router.

It has one coat of natural stain. The head is black locust sandwiched between pieces of chechem (that stuff is hard as a rock). Final weight is 29 oz so it's a fairly hefty sucker.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I think it looks good, and more importantly, it looks like it'll work for banging on stuff!

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it looks good, and more importantly, it looks like it'll work for banging on stuff!
Yeah, the grip is more comfortable than my two by four :smile:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Nice work Paul. I like the wrapped handle and bet it feels better than if your original idea panned out. :good2:
Actually, yeah it does, so it all turned out well. Since it intended to be utilitarian, I don't care how it looks.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I like the wood combo. Wondering how long the rope will stay nice, though, with use. Chuck

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Heck No ! It looks great to me ! I haven't seen many "hand crafted" mallets and this very unique .
I was just ragging you. *I* think it looks like crap (the wrapped handle anyway) but as I said I just care how it works, not how it looks.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
UPDATE:

been using this for over 3 years now and it's a winner. The face is a bit dinged up now (not deep cause those woods are HARD) but this sucker really has worked like a charm. The grip really has turned out to be excellent (but I do have to say, that cloth rope handle is a dust magnet for sure)

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Bok bok.....:sofa:

:sarcastic:

Come on Paul.....you know you want to be paired up with me......
:wink:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
UPDATE:

been using this for over 6 years now and it's still a winner. The face is even more dinged up but this sucker really has worked like a charm. The grip really has turned out to be excellent (but I do have to say, that cloth rope handle is a dust magnet for sure). I could bang on rocks with this thing and other than another face ding or two, it wouldn't be damaged.