My first antler pen

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Very nice!!! Looks good. I would turn the bolt over and move the clip around. I say that but I haven't done any of mine.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Eric. I did think about doing as you suggested....but then decided to leave it alone for now. I will probably do that before I mail it to him. He lives in the Dallas area, so I don’t get to see him often.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Awesome pen,I agree with Eric,if you can get at it I would turn the bolt around,I did on mine. Very nice work.:good2:

rdabpenman

Rifle Cartridge Pens/Braided Polymer Pen Blanks
Reaction score
First name
Les
Nicely done.
I re-orientate the bolt handle and clip on all my Bolt Action so the bolt action
works like a real right handed bolt action rifle.

Les

19 - Bolt Action Pen.jpg

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Super awesome! Was the antler easy to work with?

Thanks Chuck. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I just used standard HSS tools. The trickiest part is drilling the hole. I sanded the edges down first on a belt sander to make it relatively straight and then chucked it in some pen jaws on the lathe. It was good on the first attempt, so I was happy to get past that stage. :wacko:

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
True story....last night was our annual woodturning contest at my Woodturning Club. I won second place for my antler pen. I felt really honored as there were some great entries and the judge was Sally Alt who is a professional turner that does Sea Urchin boxes and ornaments etc.

Edited to add, this was in the beginners category, not second place for the whole contest.

Last edited: