Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
I cut a piece to enter in this year's local fair. I cut it from 1/4" thick red oak and then built a custom walnut frame with maple splines to put it in. The piece took second place to a simple bowl. I was kind of curious as to why it would take 2nd place so I inquired. It turns out, that the judges thought that it was cut by laser and not scroll saw so they bumped it down to 2nd place. I guess I should take it as a compliment that I've hone my skill enough that they though a computer guided machine did the work. There's always next year.
IMG_7905.JPG

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
No one in their right mind would spend that many hours on the scroll saw, it had to be cut by machine! :headscratch2:
And, it's not like you could show them the sawdust on the shop floor under your scroll saw to prove it either!! Could you?? :whatever:

:rofl: :lol: :lol2:

Off the charts dude! Your usual degree of beyond perfection. :empathy3:

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
I agree, I see this kind of work, and it just boggles my mind the level of patience and detail that goes in to it. Totally superb!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Between the intricacy of the pattern and the detail of your work, I can see how the judges could mistake such precision and detail for the use of a laser, especially if they are not largely informed on scroll work. Your work is very well done and extremely precise - it's obvious that you are a very skilled scroller. Outstanding work, Ken - that is just downright impressive.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Ken that is incredible! Your work and attention to detail is beyond anything my brain can understand, there's no way I would even think about doing that. Anyone who hasn't seen your other work would assume it was laser cut, but we've seen enough to know better. Just outstanding! Tony

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
How long did that take to cut

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How big is it? Where's the blue lighter?????

The whole piece (frame included) is 12"X15". The blue light is reserved for model builds. (silly man) To give you an idea of the size of some of the cuts, here's some close ups with my fingers for scale. It's the best I can do considering the light is outside in the shop.
IMG_0439.JPG IMG_9487.JPG

How long did that take to cut

This one was around 18 hours at the saw. Of course that doesn't include the drilling, sanding or making the frame. All of that was extra.

Next one show photos of you making the piece so the judges will understand!

If it weren't for the fact that the entries were anonymous until after the judging, I would have done that. I'm thinking of a way to write on it somehow that it is a scroll saw cutting next year.

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Wow. I have a scroll but besides being lazy I'm about to dumb to be any good at it.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amaaaaaazing work Ken. I don't think my eyes could nave made it through to the finish of that piece, much less my patience.

There's not patience needed when you truly enjoy doing it. As for the eyes.....there's a reason I use a large magnifying lens at the scroll saw.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Too bad they made that assumption. I've been running into that a bit here and there, Had a show that denied me because they felt I had to be using a duplicator to make the things I do. I did get a chance to explain and refer them to some videos of me at work and they changed their mind for the following year but for this year I ended up on the wait list.

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
@Kenbo
That is an incredible cutting. Love the pattern, love the wood choice and the skill level exhibited is beyond all that I can imagine.
Is the piece titled, if so what is it titled?
Is this a pattern that you made?
Did you use spiral blades for the cutting?
I really do not understand why this project was not placed first. I would assume that they would have a classification for human produced projects and one for machine produced ones.
That is one fine piece of work
Dave
Done with all the questions , sorry

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Ken you never cease to amaze me (well, ALL of us, really).

Wilson's Woodworking

Reaction score
First name
Danny
That My friend is a lot of holes. one hole at a time and just sit down to the saw when you want to relax a little while (15 minutes turns into 3 hours)
Well done and Keep on scrolling. :good2::good2::good2::good2::good2::good2:

Sorry I missed this when it was first posted.