Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

My Nose Ring

Discussion in 'General Woodturning Discussion' started by Nubsnstubs, Oct 10, 2018.

1. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Depends on whether it's Fahrenheit or Centigrade!

:sofa::sarcastic::sarcastic:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Jerry
    Ok, Rocky. Those 60 degrees refer to Angels.:wink: ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    :headscratch2:

upload_2018-10-25_16-8-46.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Lou, I had a bet with Deb that you would be the first to respond to my "Angels" comment. She was right...... Butte, you already know that I didn't make a typo. Hence, the cap on angels.

"""I have some cherry that big, was cut about 6-8 years ago, Not a ton of figure but solid. No idea how dry on the inside but probably around 12% (EMC around here for air dried stuff) I'll see if I can dig it out later tonight.""""

Where in hail did that above quote come from??????? .............. Jerry (in Tucson)

5. Lou Currier

First name:
    Lou
    @Nubsnstubs I have no “earthly” idea where it came from :whatever: I did undergo anesthesia and high doses of pain meds today :ponder:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Lou, got your Nose Ring made. It's actually the first one I ever made and this morning I had time to converted it to fit your live center with the large cone. You need to use it with several natural bottom pieces to determine if it needs modification. But, a problem is, you just had surgery. When are you going to be fit to return back to turning?............ Jerry (in Tucson)

7. Lou Currier

First name:
    Lou
  8. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Bad news, Lou. Upon further investigation after modifying the first Nose Ring ever made, it won't work with the large cone live center you have. I, Jerry Marcantel, inventor and Patent holder of a live center, went to Woodcraft in Tucson, and actually purchased a large cone nose live center. The modified Nose Ring works like it's supposed to, but it's a pain to keep on the 60 degree angle of the LC when trying to mount a piece. I will need the dimension of the od on your other live center nose. . ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

9. Lou Currier

First name:
    Lou
    Ok...I’ll get on it as quickly as the last time :sofa: Thanks for your efforts :good2:

10. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry

Rocky, I made my deadline in bold above, but got way too busy to send it out. It looks like a 2 1/4" faceplate, with 1 5/16 wrench flats. After tapping the center hole, I couldn't chamfer the front side of the hole. Install it on your spindle, and break the edge. I'll get it sent out Monday-Tuesday from California. Leaving today, and will be there for 10 days..... PM your address, or will your honey bottle address work?? Jerry (in Tucson)

11. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    One on the Honey Jar will work Jerry, addressed to my attention so the old man doesn't scratch his head wondering what he's ordered. Send me a bill!!

12. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Opps, I forgot to bring your honey with me, so you’ll have to send me your address. Boy, CRS is settling in pretty good and starting to take a toll........... Jerry (in Tucson)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Crocy in Aus.

Crocy in Aus. Member Full Member

Townsville, Tropical North Queensland, Australia.
    First name:
    Richard
    Jerry also forgot to mention that I had him occupied for 3 days checking his gear out and using his lathe. This has to be one of the best bit's of gear I have ever seen and I can't wait to try it out here in Aus.
    Rgds,
    Crocy.

14. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Yeah, but that was two weeks ago! :lol2:

15. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Well Rocky, you knew I was going to go to SoCal to do some work for my sis and mail out your nose Ring/Face plate from there. As it turned out, she was a real slave driver. I never had the time nor chance to find a post office. When I sneaked out of her place on Thanksgiving morning at 4am, I headed up to Prescott, Arizona, for the yearly Thanksgiving visit with friends.
    While there, I stumbled onto a revelation on the NR/FP. I'm gonna do a slight mod tomorrow at my friends machine shop. Since I'm back home with no slave driver around, I'll get it in the mail Wednesday................ I promise............. Jerry (in Tucson)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry

Too bad I will never see you again, Croc. Several days of visiting, and he did a lot of work with me collecting stuff. We even got a truck load of Texas Ebony upwards of 12" od. Can't wait to turn some. Stay in touch, Richard.

Ask him about my driving..................... Jerry

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Uhmmm... I know the feeling all to well. Have a couple packages I was supposed to get together and ship last week, and I haven't got there either.

-- Brother in law and sister in law came in Monday night.
    -- Daughter and family arrived Tuesday night.
    -- Wednesday was a wreck, couldn't sleep Wednesday night.
    -- Up 2 1/2 hours after I laid down Thursday morning to get the Turkey going, Thanksgiving here, Thanksgiving at the folks house.
    -- Friday the kids came down for a little bit, then we all headed up to the Okefenokee Swamp Park at Waycross. Did everything but the boat tour! Came home to Birthday Cake for the oldest granddaughter at my folks house, too much sugar in all the icing they fed me on an empty stomach, was up half the damn night again.
    -- Up at 6:30 to have breakfast with the kids and see them off. Told the son-in-law if he'd come see me during the summer, I promised we'd do nothing but sit beside the pool and drink beer for the entire flippin week!! He laughed, said that sounded like a plan to him! Brought the wife back to the house, filled my Tea glass up and headed to wood carving class. Done there at 12:30 got home around 1 grabbed a sammich, went and pulled cards in the game cameras, checked pictures, tried to catch up on e-mails, WB posts, and what not. Women decided we needed to go to town for supper, grabbed a shower, back to town, ate too much, came home, finished checking e-mail and all else, crashed about 2, still trying to figure out who set my damn alarm for 6:30 this morning but it went off!
    -- Have not been even a little bit ambitious today!

I'll almost be happy to go back to work tomorrow so I can rest up a little!

Take your time!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  18. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    @Crocy in Aus. -- What are we supposed to ask about Jerry's driving for? :lol2:

19. Crocy in Aus.

Crocy in Aus. Member Full Member

Townsville, Tropical North Queensland, Australia.
    First name:
    Richard
    IMG_20181202_023125.jpg Well @rocky1 , contrary to what Jerry said about not seeing me again, I did say this was my last solo trip to the US, but when I got home and recovered from the jetlag, the daughter said that she would like to do some treks in Colorado, so I may be back again. As for his driving, no comment.
    Well Jerry very kindly gave me a lot of gear to bring home including a chuck plate and a nose ring. I declined the nose ring as it would not suit my live centre. So here is my copy of Jerry's nose ring, with his permission and acknowledging his design. I use a Nova multi tip live centre and I have to state that this is a real nice bit of kit, even though it's made by K1W1's. The centre has a No2 Morse taper in it and each different tip just knocks out. So I turned this attachment out of a billet of 1045 medium tensile steel and also added a threaded hole through the centre as well. So I now have his complete system ready to go, just gotta find a real ugly piece of wood.
    Rgds,
    Crocy in Aus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  20. Nubsnstubs

First name:
    Jerry
    Thanks, Crocy Richard, you survived my driving and didn't spill the beans on that experience. I suppose anyone else that will ever ride with me will have to draw their own conclusion.
    Colorado is a long ways from me, but not near as far as Townsville even though the trips take about the same amount of travel time. It really was a pleasure to have you visit, Twice.

Folks, I didn't say or post any pictures of what Richard brought me. There were 170 pen blanks from 17 varieties of Aussie woods. I don't do pens, but did keep one each of the 17 blanks for give aways. The rest I took to Randy at Woodcraft to see if there was any interest in them from the local turners. I also got a bunch of Mill sized blanks from a couple species of oaks, and then some maple. No pictures yet, but the woods are outstanding. there were also 2 bowl blanks that I might try to get 4 plates from. I'll know in a couple months.

I have a live center similar to yours, but never thought of making a nose like what you did. Now, I'm going on a mission to make one. Have you started a clamp like what is on my Steady Rest and Hollower?

Rocky, I did finish your Nose early last week, but a couple other missions got in my way of getting it in the mail. Tomorrow, I'm off to the post office to mail out not only your Nose, but a couple other packages. It's in the mail. You heard that before, Huh?? I'll post a picture later today. When I went back to make a square nut instead of a couple of wrench flats, it didn't sit very square in the vise, so there are some ugly mill marks. You will need a 1 1/4" wrench or a large crescent wrench to remove it from whatever you attach it to. It looks like a tiny faceplate.........Jerry

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
Current Time: 6:56 AM