My scrapers

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
This is a review of the scrapers that I use. The first two I’ll be reviewing are hand made by Carter and Sons out of Seattle. (It says so on the handles) They are m42 steel and both have a 3/4” tang. Additional details can be found on their website.

I paid $159.99 for the spear scraper. It’s the one from the Mike Mahoney collection. The finish, fit and feel is what you would expect at this price point. At first use, I was thinking that I had just wasted $159.99. The tool itself was great, but why the hell did I need a spear point scraper? After a few months of trying to justify the purchase by forcibly using this tool, I started to fall in love. I use this tool for creating tenons, and recesses. Holding it at the right angle creates a perfect dovetail for my chuck jaws. It’s great for starting beads or adding a little detail on the bottoms of bowls. My favorite use for this tool is shear scrapping. The angle at which the tool comes to a point gives it a real advantage while shear scrapping. As long as you are mindful of your tip, you can adjust the point of contact as you go around curves without running out of cutting surface on the tool.

I would buy this tool again. I feel like I get my money’s worth when I’m holding it. The steel is just far superior to M2 and you can feel it. I’ll post the review of my bowl scraper later, followed by my favorite scraper made by John Jordan.

3891D790-544D-4654-BC7A-3EF7C11C2187.jpeg

13560BDA-E67A-4427-B730-4E59DE228E8D.jpeg

A5D80FBE-B915-4E51-B6F0-AD168925FA5D.jpeg

F3AA73B4-6EEF-4053-9669-5121037E65CC.jpeg

9BFBEBC4-ACBE-4608-B056-232234BD297C.jpeg

0BBEB0FE-CB15-4A03-BAED-C917486D9C53.jpeg

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On to the bowl scraper. I paid $154.99 for my bowl scraper. I should add that both of these Carter and Sons scrapers were purchased with 16” handles. I will sometimes switch them to my 12” handle if I need some extra clearance.

Again, the tool showed up at my door sharp and ready to use. It’s got some heft to it, and feels like an expensive tool. I had a walnut bowl on the lathe and decided to put my new tool to use. I put the tool to the wood and experienced the worst catch I’ve had to date. The lathe stopped and my hand was pulled into the rim of the bowl. As I backed the tool off, my hand got a nice wood burnout as the lathe started to turn again. I put the scraper up for a few weeks, I was not happy that I had spent so much money on a tool that I was apprehensive to use. After watching some YouTube, I built my confidence back up and am happy that I did. As long as your tool rest is positioned at the right height, you are golden. The m42 steel holds a helluva burr and makes super fine shavings as long as you approach the wood with a light touch. Just like the spear scraper, this tool really excels at shear scraping. Of course you can shear scrape with your bowl gouge, but can you shear scrape the inside curve of a bowl with your bowl gouge?

I would definitely buy this tool again, I use it on almost all of my bowls. Being able to get a perfect transition from the wall to the base of the bowl is important to me.

Below are some pictures of the bowl scraper in use. You can see that I am above center while shear scraping the inside curve of the bowl and right at center while using it as a traditional scraper. I’ll post my review of the John Jordan scraper later, On a new thread.

5BDC2318-D159-45E3-B651-A939E2DB93ED.jpeg

98176A4E-D116-4285-898C-89EBD9B2DE26.jpeg

C719B60F-85E7-461C-96E2-85D4C1C40AF9.jpeg

BB2CD525-C3C2-459E-9A4E-17589414CA0F.jpeg

59712685-C71B-4927-B0C5-8C0CC0B99B28.jpeg

588F1554-B5D9-48A6-8566-8A0B23A84D08.jpeg

1AFAF157-1AD8-44AD-9727-5E408A4713B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
@Brandon Sloan Thanks for posting your review Brandon. I have been debating between Carter and Sons vs Thompson for when I am ready to take the plunge into better tools than I currently have.

BTW, I lived in AK for a little over 12 years. I miss the beauty and enjoyment of fishing and hiking up there.

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Brandon Sloan Thanks for posting your review Brandon. I have been debating between Carter and Sons vs Thompson for when I am ready to take the plunge into better tools than I currently have.

BTW, I lived in AK for a little over 12 years. I miss the beauty and enjoyment of fishing and hiking up there.
I’ve been up here for ten years, originally from Houston. I’m moving back to Texas in October. I’m gonna miss it for the same reasons as you. I have two Thompson handles and one of their 3/8” bowl gouge. I was going to review those as well. These tools are a huge investment for me, so I know others are probably in the same boat. Hopefully this helps.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Well there is another thing we have in common. I am a transplanted Texan. Grew up in the Dallas area. Lived in Beaumont in ‘86 when I moved to AK and then moved to CA in ‘98. Been here ever since. Looking forward to your Thompson review.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
@Brandon Sloan , Brandon, thanks for the reviews. In my little experience in turning, I would have never even looked at the spear point scraper. Great review and info. I just bought scrapers; am happy, but I see those going to someone else in years to come as I continue to learn and upgrade!