• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

My Son the Blacksmith

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Just realized how long it's been since I've updated this thread. Life is just running full speed out ahead of me, constantly trying to keep up...
My son has since used money he made selling a few knives and hand woven whips to finally acquire a new anvil. Nice 150lb Hay Budden. Wasn't cheap but should be good for a lifetime.
IMG_2063.JPG

He set straight to work and churned out a few more knives. Didn't take much more then showing them to a couple people to sell most of them.

Beautiful Tanto style blade with Bloodwood, Walnut and Brass. Sold for $260.
IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

Solid Bloodwood, roughly 6" stout blade. Made to order for one of our farmers. $250.-

IMG_5367.jpeg

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
For his best work so far, pretty damned good considering he is only seventeen years old, he decided to make his Mom a good chef's knife for Christmas. Quite the impressive work IMO.
The weather is not cooperating with me to get good pictures...

African Padauk handle capped with brass. Blade is high carbon steel from a 1957 Willies Jeep leaf spring. Sharp enough to perform surgery with.

IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Beautiful work, both steel and wood! Your son has a real gift, kudos to you for fostering his talent and helping him advance his skills.

Strider

Reaction score
First name
Loris
This is great work by your young son! You must be a proud parent! :)
As far as originality and personal touch go, I feel that beginners and young folk always tend to be more creative and independent from the (sometimes silly) requirements of the knife making lore.
May he keep his line of originality and passion instead of popularity and uniformity!

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
Just realized how long it's been since I've updated this thread. Life is just running full speed out ahead of me, constantly trying to keep up...
My son has since used money he made selling a few knives and hand woven whips to finally acquire a new anvil. Nice 150lb Hay Budden. Wasn't cheap but should be good for a lifetime.
View attachment 199075

He set straight to work and churned out a few more knives. Didn't take much more then showing them to a couple people to sell most of them.

Beautiful Tanto style blade with Bloodwood, Walnut and Brass. Sold for $260.
View attachment 199076

View attachment 199077

Solid Bloodwood, roughly 6" stout blade. Made to order for one of our farmers. $250.-

View attachment 199079

Love the tanto style blade, it's my favorite blade style. He's a very talented young man. Kudos!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Wow. That knife is very impressive! I absolutely love the handle. Very cool....