My Tail Stock Steady

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Today, I'm getting these pieces ready for finish. Stain and Lacquer. Several I know of were drilled crooked, so now I have to clean up the ends that are bad. They all butt together, and uneven ends will leave a gap which is not acceptable. I tried sanding an end. That made it worse. That left the only safe tool I own to try to get them squared away.

I used my Tail Stock Steady. It worked like a charm. I've used it twice before to remove the tenons on a couple pieces that were as long and smaller diameter than what this piece is, 4 1/2" OD x 7" long. 7D221444-69EC-4B76-8EB6-A05070378AA6_1_201_a.jpeg

The mandrel is is 1 1/2" diameter with a 3/8 X 1/2" pin. It was very stable while I was cutting into the end grain. Now I know what to do for the others. 1CCDAD66-64C2-4CFC-9834-1DA587018AA4_1_201_a.jpeg

I used my EWTCi4 diamond tool to make the end square. DC1DE5B0-0FFD-4E71-9DFE-2E278ECE5491_1_201_a.jpeg

I just posted this for the folks who have one of my TSS's to let yall all know of another capability of it. .............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Howdy Mike. Long time, bud. Everybody that has one should be using it. It's the best thing out there, if I do say so myself. ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
If any of you have any issues with the wheel bearings, you can remove the seal from one side and drop in a couple drops of light oil (I use pneumatic oil) inside and put the seal back in place. The bearings should last a long, long time if you do that. I'm going on 10 years on mine....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Jerry, where did you get that mandrel from?
I made it, Tony. The other half of the set has a taper and fits into the nose of one of my live centers. they were both the same size when I started, but hitting them when sanding with 80 grit shrunk the tail stock mandrel. BB46EAE9-F16B-4F06-B22A-7BF43D76590B.jpeg

............ Jerry (in Tucson)