need another ID

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
A friend gave me some wood block he said were maple. I planned them off and they are more than maple. They have tighter grain than maples around here( southern NY) and are a light gold color, he also cave a .5 x 4 x 16" piece. I checked a couple wood sale site and came up with big leaf maple but I am not sure

ID55.jpg

wood ID56.jpg

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Those are definitely maple and a good deal of maple I have comes from upstate NY. The one on the top appears to be hard maple (acer saccharum)- need to see grain and weight. Those are usually under 4 pounds per board foot. The hard/sugar/rock maple have tight grain compare to silver or red maple. The hard maple will have those small faint bubble blisters. Fingernail test- no indentation is a sign for hard maple.

The bottom one is red maple (acer rubrum). Those are about 3-1/2 pounds per board foot.

Silver maple (acer saccharinum) is the softest of the maple and under 3 pounds per board foot.

Western big leaf maple (acer macrophylum) would be more creamier in color, slightly fibrous and will weigh about the same pounds per board foot as red maple. This species will not have the brown flecking on the surface (see your second photo of the red maple).

Last edited:

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i have never seen maple around here with that pastel gold color. everything I have worked with is some shade of white with some darker wood

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I process a lot of maple. Sugar content will result in the maple having a slight golden tint. Not all east coast maple are white. Some red maple has a slight pinkish yellow tone.

Last edited:

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
A friend gave me some wood block he said were maple. I planned them off and they are more than maple. They have tighter grain than maples around here( southern NY) and are a light gold color, he also cave a .5 x 4 x 16" piece. I checked a couple wood sale site and came up with big leaf maple but I am not sure

View attachment 205514

View attachment 205515
Maple comes in many colors my friend. This shelf is maple. I cut the tree and processed the wood start to finish so I know the chain of custody...
And yes it was dropped when the sap was up. So sugars likely played a big role in the color

16161127790225274516138752418184.jpg

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
that is something, I didn't scroll down are those pieces all maple

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Frank, is that your stove in the lower right in the picture? ............ Jerry (in Tucson)
No that is her stove. Mine is a Blackstone tabletop griddle :taunt:
I do quite a bit of the breakfasts. that is for quick frying pan browning. She uses an instapot for soups and casseroles. We both spent time in restaurant so cooking at home is barely even cooking to us...

Last edited:

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
that is awesome, I am a wood lover as well. that setup would work for us we don't cook much at home and hardly ever use the oven. Whatr the rest of the house like

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Tore up. We bought it as a fixer upper. I am a 30 yr contractor/ carpentry and electrical so as long as the roof is dry, I can move in and start things happening. Only thing is when you move in, life starts happening as well. Guest bedroom is fairly standard painted wall and ceiling. Main bath is in picture. Horse tank bath tub, barn steel and various wood finishes on wall. Cedar ceiling. Living room spalted maple, elm, and hackberry floor (8 inch wide) one wall of mixed specie, one wall spalted maple, one wall cherry wainscot with corrugated steel center band and scheduled to have flame box elder upper wall. Ceiling to be covered in veneered plywood thanks to @tocws2002 . Back bath under construction as well as master bdrm. Those plans subject to change without notice..