Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
As a matter of fact I did watch it, need to rewatch it, thanks for the reminder Tim.

I got the pressure paint pot at princess auto on sale for about $79 Canadian. So that's about $1.75 USD if I did the math right.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got the pressure paint pot at princess auto on sale for about $79 Canadian. So that's about $1.75 USD if I did the math right.

Screenshot_20201126-220034_Samsung Internet.jpg

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I was going to recommend Graingers, but after going there and looking at the stuff, all I can say WTF. I can't believe the prices on a 2.8 gallon tank system at 175 bucks. It looks just like the Harbor Freight unit. the WTF prices were for other 2.5 to 2.8 gallon tank systems, upwards of 12 hundred bucks. That's a lot of money. I'm glad I got my 2 Dayton tanks from them back in the early 80's when they were Made in America and only cost about 100 dollars each.
Even being almost 40 years old, I can pressurize them, turn off the air supply and walk away for about 6 months. When I do that, the pressure is what it was when the tanks air supply was turned off. No leaks whatsoever.
Look for a used tank from painting companies. Most today have gone to airless spray systems and might have some conventional systems sitting about. You might get lucky. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

The100road

Reaction score
First name
Stan
@Tony I’ve had good luck finding used paint tanks on offerup or craigslist. It’s crazy how much they range in price. Sometimes they want $20 and sometimes they want $300. I’ve gotten 3 now for about $40 each. just make sure the seal is good and you can buy all the gauges and fittings pretty cheap at the local hardware store. Mine are rated 80psi but 60psi would work fine as well.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I have the harbor freight one. My brother bought me the pressure pot for Xmas last year. It leaks pretty bad. Doesn’t seem to be coming from the piping, pretty sure it’s from the seal. I’ve read if you soak the seal in vasoline that it’ll seal better. I just haven’t gotten back to trying it yet. I filled it with air, left for 2 hours and lost more than half of what I put in it. So I’m sure it’ll work when I put vasoline on the gasket.just haven’t had the time unfortunately.
Mine leaked also around the seal. I took the lid off and sprayed Pam cooking spray on the top lip of the bucket. I then took a caulk gun and loaded it with 100% silicone caulking and liberally gooked, coated, smeared the entire seal and lip area on the underside of the lid. Reinstall the lid back on the bucket and snugged it down. With a wet soapy finger I kinda cleaned up the outside to make it somewhat presentable and then let it completely cure. A few days. I made a registration mark on the new "gasket" and on the lid. Opened it up and tried it out. No leaks. But now I also crank it down when closing and tie a quick rope around the lockdown before pressure goes in. Just in case

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
@Tony I’ve had good luck finding used paint tanks on offerup or craigslist. It’s crazy how much they range in price. Sometimes they want $20 and sometimes they want $300. I’ve gotten 3 now for about $40 each. just make sure the seal is good and you can buy all the gauges and fittings pretty cheap at the local hardware store. Mine are rated 80psi but 60psi would work fine as well.
Do I just need to see of the gasket is cracked or anything? Is there another way to know other than visually if they are bad Stan?

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Tony, gaskets should not be a problem. I was told that Grainger weren't going to sell the gaskets I need so I bought 4 back in 2003, and still have 2 at this point.

Something else to consider is, San Antonio is larger than Tucson. You should not have any problems finding an outlet that sells gaskets. If they do not stock your gasket, they certainly have gasket sheet goods that you can buy and make your own gasket. All you need is a lathe that's swing is larger than the OD of the tank you need a gasket for, some double sided tape, a piece of MDF large enough to tape the gasket material to, and the gasket material. A sharp skew is a must. With the gasket material mounted onto the MDF, MDF mounted onto the lathe, sharp skew in hand, turn on the lathe and cut OD with the point down in a vertical position. When that is cut, go to the inside mark, and cut it. It could be a 1/4" wide ring, or a 1/2" ring. The only thing that matters here is that you have that ring well secured to the tape.

I've made a couple pressure tanks for myself, and since there were no readily available gaskets, I had to make my own. It's a piece of cake. Even you could do it. :lol2:

If you think you want to see a picture or 2, I can do that........Jerry (in Tucson)

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Tony, gaskets should not be a problem. I was told that Grainger weren't going to sell the gaskets I need so I bought 4 back in 2003, and still have 2 at this point.

Something else to consider is, San Antonio is larger than Tucson. You should not have any problems finding an outlet that sells gaskets. If they do not stock your gasket, they certainly have gasket sheet goods that you can buy and make your own gasket. All you need is a lathe that's swing is larger than the OD of the tank you need a gasket for, some double sided tape, a piece of MDF large enough to tape the gasket material to, and the gasket material. A sharp skew is a must. With the gasket material mounted onto the MDF, MDF mounted onto the lathe, sharp skew in hand, turn on the lathe and cut OD with the point down in a vertical position. When that is cut, go to the inside mark, and cut it. It could be a 1/4" wide ring, or a 1/2" ring. The only thing that matters here is that you have that ring well secured to the tape.

I've made a couple pressure tanks for myself, and since there were no readily available gaskets, I had to make my own. It's a piece of cake. Even you could do it. :lol2:

If you think you want to see a picture or 2, I can do that........Jerry (in Tucson)

Thanks Jerry! I may very well call you and pick your brain at some point when I find one.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Thanks Jerry! I may very well call you and pick your brain at some point when I find one.
If and when you start picking, bring a pint jar instead of a gallon jug. There's not much left.............. Jerry (in Tucson)