Need help getting the correct chuck

tcarltonw

Reaction score
First name
Travis
So I was using a chuck my stepfather had loaned me but now I'm needing to get a new one... which I haven't had to do. Help a feller out?

20240412_044113.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Well my first guess would be 1" x 8tpi for a mini lathe or 11/4" x 8tpi for a full size lathe.
What brand is your lathe? You can probably Google it and get the specs for it on line for your model.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Regardless of the size, Nova chucks/jaws are interchangeable and IMO are among the best in quality/price.

Depends on the size of the lathe and what you like to turn. I started with a G3 and turned everything with 50mm jaws up to a 12" bowl. Not ideal, but you can make it work. I've upgraded over time and now have 2 G3 chucks and keep a set of 70mm jaws on one and switch around smaller jaws on the other. I also have a SuperNova and keep a set of 100mm jaws on it for larger bowls and hollow forms. I have a midi lathe with 12.5" throw. If you only work on smaller items and don't turn large bowls or hollow forms a G3 is ideal. If you work on larger items, the extra heft/strength of the SN is ideal.