Need ID

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Hi, I found some wood along the road where the village was cleaning off a bank, no Idea what it may be.

ID23.jpg

ID24.jpg

ID25.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Your hint, ask a local farmer which wood works best for fence posts. Soon the black vale will be lifted and your mind will fluoresce with knowledge.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Very clever Mark. I'm impressed. :smile:

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking locust but discounted it because of the leaves, they look to big for locust. but that make sense. i cut a piece and it is incredibly heavy even for green wood. Guess i bettermget it turned while it is still wet. Thanks Mike

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I was thinking locust but discounted it because of the leaves, they look to big for locust. but that make sense. i cut a piece and it is incredibly heavy even for green wood. Guess i bettermget it turned while it is still wet. Thanks Mike
Try UV light, as Mark suggested.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark

Your on track, just not on line. The leaves look too big for 'Honey locust', because they are, but look fine for 'black locust'.

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wow i have to get a black light. What part is luminescent. just the heart or all of it

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
What I showed I believe is plum and the sap doesn't glow. Is that normal?
Are you saying the heartwood glows and the sapwood doesn't? If so, what is the color of the heartwood under UV? Different woods fluoresce differently (if at all)

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Are you saying the heartwood glows and the sapwood doesn't? If so, what is the color of the heartwood under UV? Different woods fluoresce differently (if at all)
Yes sir, and it is what I pictured. I didnt clarify, so I should, that the piece isn't locust. I was merely showing the fluorescence.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Yes sir, and it is what I pictured. I didnt clarify, so I should, that the piece isn't locust. I was merely showing the fluorescence.
? Where ?

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I'm confused... I have a picture just a couple posts up. Am I using the word wrong or something ?
Apologies, I'm the one that was confused. I had you confused w/ the OP.

Last edited: