• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Need some input

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
I started this piece of NIP and getting ready to flip it. Not sure where I want to go from here. Should I do straight walls, waste a lot of wood and make a shallow bowl or something else :ponder: I would like to show off the angled branches from the inside whatever I do with it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

43E30B93-97B3-400C-9DFF-D5EB6F1D954A.jpeg

B1931788-64E2-4BCD-8170-3A5059E52420.jpeg

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I don't have a coring system.
You don't need a coring system to get two pieces out of that piece. An ash tray, or shallow bowl could be done with a 1 1/2" thickness. Use a parting tool and go in at an angle not as steep as the one you already have.. When it cuts through, set up a tenon and finish both pieces, then show us the results. I've done it a lot of times before I was loaned the system I currently have. ............... Jerry (in Tucson)

Tim Shettlesworth

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Go to woodturningblanks4u dot com. he has tips on turning NIP and does some cool stuff. Lots of good info on it there. I am sure you will come up with something from there.

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Which direction do the branch knots angle? Have only turned one piece or NIP, but our 5-needle Eastern White Pine often exhibits much the same attributes and I've turned that often. Most often the branch knot angles down from the outside in. I will usually place the middle of the branch knots along either a top of a hollow form or the bottom of a bowl or platter to show them off. Not mine, but something like this
1623244158280.png
or this
1623244245545.png
or this
1623244292069.png

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
Which direction do the branch knots angle? Have only turned one piece or NIP, but our 5-needle Eastern White Pine often exhibits much the same attributes and I've turned that often. Most often the branch knot angles down from the outside in. I will usually place the middle of the branch knots along either a top of a hollow form or the bottom of a bowl or platter to show them off. Not mine, but something like this
View attachment 210606
or this
View attachment 210607
or this
View attachment 210608
The last 2 pictures have the look that I am hoping to achieve or at least something close to it.

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Can usually tell which way they angle. Find the top (or bottom - whichever is appropriate and inch your way carefully toward the branch near the pith. Once you know the ends, it's just wood turning from there. The prettiest ones, in my opinion, are turned thin (1/16 to 1/8) and then soaked in some sort of polymerizing oil. Ron Kent who came up with the process used Varathane Danish type oil and applied it with 400 grit sandpaper. Multiple times. Secret, according to him, was not how long it soaked, but how many times it was applied. Others say that they have gotten good results in soaking in a bucket of the mixture for a day or few in 1/2 BLO or Tung and mineral spirits.

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I started this piece of NIP and getting ready to flip it. Not sure where I want to go from here. Should I do straight walls, waste a lot of wood and make a shallow bowl or something else :ponder: I would like to show off the angled branches from the inside whatever I do with it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

View attachment 210529

View attachment 210530
Send it to Ripjack13. I think he can show you what to do with it.