Need something Cast

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
I have a hippo tusk that is very old and pretty badly cracked towards the tip that I got from a friend in exchange for making him a pen out of a piece of it. I'm thinking casting it might help me salvage some of the pieces. My mother in law also loves hippos so I want to make her something from a piece of it. I'd be willing to pay for someone to cast if for me or trade for wood. Any thoughts or anyone want to give it a go?
20141224_213331.jpg 20141224_213439.jpg

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, the tusk came from a skeleton a guy found while in africa about 30 to 40 years ago. You can tell by the weathering the animal died and the body weathered naturally for a very long time from the decay of the tusk so the animal most likely died naturally and wasn't killed for the tusks if that makes any difference to anyone on here.

Fsyxxx

Sawdust manufacture, shop destroyer
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Wanting just the tip in clear? Or a color?

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Wanting just the tip in clear? Or a color?
I would need the whole thing cast. Will cut it first if necessary. Since it will eventually get cut up anyways There's cracks all through it but the tip is the worst. I'd prefer to cast in some kind of color.

Fsyxxx

Reaction score
First name
Greg
How porous is it? If we do a color it might bleed into the tusk unless it's stabilized first. What color btw

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
I doubt it will bleed into the tusk. It's not really porous at all. Just cracked. If anything was porous it would be the tip. Let me ask my wife about the color.

Fsyxxx

Reaction score
First name
Greg
K. I'd be willing to give it a shot. You will need to cut them into the sizes you need...

Fsyxxx

Reaction score
First name
Greg
Sure.... I'll need to order the powdered mica in that shade but I need to order one new colors anyway, I'm bored of the ones I've been using. You in a rush? It takes a bit to get the order from the company I use.

Fsyxxx

Reaction score
First name
Greg
Check tkbtrading.com. Pick the color you like

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Haha I have lots of turning blanks and boards too. I have some pretty nice stuff but nothing too insanely wild. Are you looking for turning pieces or boards?

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
I have some really nice very curly maple boards my wife would love me to thin out haha

Fsyxxx

Reaction score
First name
Greg
Mostly turning blanks or crazy stuff for knife scales

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
I can dig into my turning stock and see what I can find. If I send something call blank sized you can use for turning or scales. How many or what type would you think is a fair trade? I really don't know.

Fsyxxx

Reaction score
First name
Greg
I really don't know either, I've done some stuff for guys in my club but I have no idea what to charge. The alumilite is expensive but I won't use a ton of it, the rest is just time. I'll have to make a mold for what size you need, leave the tusk in the dehydrator for a couple days then cast. If anyone has any clue what is a fair trade please chime in....