New 2022 postage rates:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Interesting. All went up except for LFRB's.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Well, I have to assume these are discounted rates for account holders....LFRB has been $22.65 for several months, MFRB has been well over $16 as well.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I have to assume these are discounted rates for account holders....LFRB has been $22.65 for several months, MFRB has been well over $16 as well.
1641561062024.png

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@Mr. Peet I thought rates applied to all states or am I missing something?
I agree. @Mr. Peet what's going on? I was charged $15.50 just yesterday for a MFRB. Are you paying at the P.O. directly or using the on-line service or using some other service?

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
At the P.O.
I just don't understand. The P.O. has a specific mandate to have a uniform price structure across the entire country
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service
The USPS has a monopoly on "letter" delivery within the United States and operates under a universal service obligation (USO), both of which are defined across a broad set of legal mandates, which obligate it to provide uniform price and quality across the entirety of its service area.
Is it even legal for the P.O. to have a different price structure in one state?

EDIT: I did a bit more poking around and EVERYWHERE I look, it says the same thing. Post office rates for flat rate boxes are the same from everywhere to everywhere inside the U.S.. Is you local P.O. skimming?

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I just don't understand. The P.O. has a specific mandate to have a uniform price structure across the entire country
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service

Is it even legal for the P.O. to have a different price structure in one state?

EDIT: I did a bit more poking around and EVERYWHERE I look, it says the same thing. Post office rates for flat rate boxes are the same from everywhere to everywhere inside the U.S.. Is you local P.O. skimming?
If they are skimming, so are the other 4 post offices I use because they seem to all share the same rates. So be it, only money.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
On a related note, the increases makes Regional rate boxes more attractive if not sending across the US or to outside the lower 48, and if not "too" heavy. Post office branches don't normally keep any of the boxes for pickup at post office, but they are free to order. There are two "A" sizes which is about 3/4 the size of MFRBs, and two "B" sizes that are just a touch smaller than LFRBs. Regional A box max wt is 15 lbs, and Regional B box max wt is 20 lbs.

Example shipping from where I am to Charlotte, about 200 miles: Regional A box is $8.04 and Regional B box is $8.64
Example shipping to Lubbock TX, about 1000 miles: Regional A box is $8.64 and Regional B box is $12.36
YMMV

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
On a related note, the increases makes Regional rate boxes more attractive if not sending across the US or to outside the lower 48, and if not "too" heavy. Post office branches don't normally keep any of the boxes for pickup at post office, but they are free to order. There are two "A" sizes which is about 3/4 the size of MFRBs, and two "B" sizes that are just a touch smaller than LFRBs. Regional A box max wt is 15 lbs, and Regional B box max wt is 20 lbs.

Example shipping from where I am to Charlotte, about 200 miles: Regional A box is $8.04 and Regional B box is $8.64
Example shipping to Lubbock TX, about 1000 miles: Regional A box is $8.64 and Regional B box is $12.36
YMMV
Yep...it can be beneficial to buy boxes that fit what you're shipn. A 4×4×12 will ship for less than $10 USPS. That's only a few dimes and nickel more than the sfrb! Todays FL to Maryland was $9.85

Last edited: