New favorite turning

MNTurner

Reaction score
First name
Andy
So I put myself in an all too familiar predicament where I needed a gift for someone and procrastinated until the only solution of anything remotely sentimental was to make something in the shop.

After wandering around Rockler, I stumbled across this idea on their packaging for bottle stoppers. When I got home to go through my stock, lo and behold, I had a hybrid blank I had cast for a tap handle that was no longer needed (client saw an unclaimed blank on my Insta that they had to have instead).

I must say, it turned out much better than expected.

We've all experienced the emotions of making something for someone else that you now want to keep to yourself. I'll definitely be making one for myself next.

Cherry burl - blue and white resin - chrome Rockler bottle opener - modeled after the best beer in the midwest, Grain Belt Nordeast

Happy woodworking,

Andy

376CB0E5-97CA-4A5E-9CF3-1CD3FEBF9F7C.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

gimpy

Reaction score
First name
terry
Nice !!!! mind sharing the size

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Cool! Love the look and the finish.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Awesome....would appreciate the specs as well if you don't mind sharing. I've got someone your idea would be perfect for!

MNTurner

Reaction score
First name
Andy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice !!!! mind sharing the size

Sadly, no specs. I eyeballed this one, put it in a gift bag, and drove out to meet them for dinner (I'm a horrible friend for procrastinating that bad, I know). That said, I know it was from a 2" x 7.5" blank and I did have my time lapse camera running.

MNTurner

Reaction score
First name
Andy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awesome....would appreciate the specs as well if you don't mind sharing. I've got someone your idea would be perfect for!

I don't have any specs, unfortunately. Did it freehand with a beer bottle for reference. It was out of a 2" x 7.5" blank, though, if that helps. I also posted a video above in this thread if that helps at all.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Innovative design on delightful wood! Will have to keep this in mind for future bottle openers. Chuck

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I think I saw the plans in AAW....... no......., it was one of the other wood magazines. Will try to find it when I get home.....out on a business trip this week.

whitewaterjay

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Nice looking bottle opener! I bought 4 or 5 of those kits from them and they're sitting in a box somewhere. I'll have to break them out and give this project a shot!

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Love it! I’m going to have to make one of those for myself.