• Woodbarter Hats Are Available!!! Scroll down on the main page to the Member Activities & Site Support, Then click on Wood Barter SCHWAG and go to the topic Woodbarter Hats 2022 to order your hat. There's only a limited quanity, so don't wait to get yours.

new guy with CNC questions

bradleyheathhays

Reaction score
First name
Brad
Hey everybody. Hope this winter is treating you well. Now that I've been frozen out of my shop for a while I've been nosing around the net for some new ideas and came across what was probably a more popular art form in the 70s, but is still quite captivating....parametric wall art design (pic below)...which of course led quickly to studying the gorgeous CNC machines that produce these designs and their associated software.

I like the tiling feature the X Carve Pro offers but I haven't read about it being offered on any other CNC machine. What Inventables calls 'tiling' is where you can cut pieces larger than your CNC table by sliding your wood/material through and let it do one section at a time.

1) Is there any way to make the AVID PRO 510 do this tiling function or is this something only Xcarve has right now?

2) V Carve Pro is SO expensive! Is there ANY way to get it cheaper than it's retail price? I've seen where you can get an activation code if you're part of an educational group, so wonder if that could be cheaper. Also, would be nice to be able to split a subscription with someone.

3) I believe I've seen where Fusion 360 was suggested as a good program to use if you're working with parametric designs. Any opinions on this?

4) And last, I'm still searching for the best forum to ask these kinds of CNC and software questions. If there's a more appropriate place than here please do let me know.

Thanks

wall art.jpg

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
Tiling can also be accomplished on Vcarve Desktop. A cheaper alternative from Pro or Aspire. That said, I'm not familiar with the functions of the "other" applications.
Tiling can be performed on any machine, it's the command software that drives it.

Last edited:

Don Wood

Reaction score
First name
Don
We went with the X-35 model. Really easy to set up and worked great right away. We purchased Vectric VCarve Pro Software ( one of the more user friendly ) and it’s been a pretty steep learning curve but we are making some things now. A lot of UTube videos to help. Mark Lindsay I believe the name was has some really good ones.

eaglea1

Castaway
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Don, check out Garrett Fromme on YouTube also. Great tutorials and great teacher.
He uses VCarve Pro also, which is nice if you also have that.

Last edited: