New Member from Abbott TX

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Danged Joseph - I'm a little slow and did not notice this thread. But welcome from Middle Tennessee. I notice you live not too far from Clifton - my favorite great-uncle lived there - he was a game biologist with the TP&W and a Baptist Minister. And phewy on the "stros, but you are still ok in my book - you lived in Corpus - that may trump everything! Spent many great hours at Marker 33A and fishing the LM and Baffin Bay.

BTW - Brangus gots magical powers - the make it possible for big boys to jump high fences in a single bound!! At least the mommas with calves in West TX that probably had not ever seen a human.

Last edited:

FordCarver

Reaction score
First name
Jody
Yes David,
I've cussed Mesquite, elm, hackberry, honey locust, osage orange, some kind of oak that has leaves that look like Live Oak but the leaves drop in winter. (Very White wood)Soapberry, some slick barked smaller trees(don't know the name) Greenbriars that have growths on the roots(soft and not too big, but remember the briar pipes the old folks smoked and the grain looked good. Some big cottonwoods, Ash of all sizes, I suppose there are more out there but there's a creek running through it and the walking is rough for an old guy. I did find a big native pecan once but it was past punky. continued
I need to become your friend with all those kinds of woods suitable for hand carving (especially somewhat green) 🤣. On the greenbriars, would those growths be similar to the knees of cypress trees? That sounds interesting.

FordCarver

Reaction score
First name
Jody
Danged Joseph - I'm a little slow and did not notice this thread. But welcome from Middle Tennessee. I notice you live not too far from Clifton - my favorite great-uncle lived there - he was a game biologist with the TP&W and a Baptist Minister. And phewy on the "stros, but you are still ok in my book - you lived in Corpus - that may trump everything! Spent many great hours at Marker 33A and fishing the LM and Baffin Bay.

BTW - Brangus gots magical powers - the make it possible for big boys to jump high fences in a single bound!! At least the mommas with calves in West TX that probably had not ever seen a human.
Mike—
Where’d you spend time at in west TX? I’m originally from near Odessa. And now you are living where I hope to be someday…middle TN. Love that area, especially the drive down to Chatt!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Mike—
Where’d you spend time at in west TX? I’m originally from near Odessa. And now you are living where I hope to be someday…middle TN. Love that area, especially the drive down to Chatt!
At the outset, I want to apologize that you have to be originally from Odessa! No wonder you like Middle Tennessee! My junior year roommate was from Odessa, I hope you ain't like him! Lil Mikey coulda played baseball for Sul Ross but A&M was the destination of choice and wasn't fast enough to play baseball there or big enough to play football - so I just had fun and fished at Somerville and danced at Lakeview! Hunted around Laredo - love the Big Bend/Chisos and Davis mountains area - where everything bites, stings, pricks, sticks, and can make your day miserable - but love the ruggedness. Born San Antonio, moved to Seguin, matriculated at A&M and was moved to Middle Tennessee due to business. Middle Tennessee has got it's perks - uncontrolled growth ain't one. If you are outdoors oriented - you can't get much better. Lots of fishing, hunting and moonshining! The drive to Choo-Choo City ain't bad, but.....on the other side is much mo' bettah!

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
@Mike Hill , with all your boasting, you should have stayed in our Lone Star State.
A philosophical conundrum! - Is it boasting when it is the truth?

There are powers in this universe that are more powerful than Lil Mikey's measly little wish to be living back in Texas. Those powers take the form of a true biological female - not just a pronoun. Something about "too hot in Texas".

FordCarver

Reaction score
First name
Jody
At the outset, I want to apologize that you have to be originally from Odessa! No wonder you like Middle Tennessee! My junior year roommate was from Odessa, I hope you ain't like him! Coulda played baseball for Sul Ross but A&M was the destination of choice and wasn't fast enough to play baseball there or big enough to play football - so I just had fun and fished at Somerville and danced at Lakeview! Hunted around Laredo - love the Big Bend/Chisos and Davis mountains area - where everything bites, stings, pricks, sticks, and can make your day miserable - but love the ruggedness. Born San Antonio, moved to Seguin, matriculated at A&M and was moved to Middle Tennessee due to business. Middle Tennessee has got it's perks - uncontrolled growth ain't one. If you are outdoors oriented - you can't get much better. Lots of fishing, hunting and moonshining! The drive to Choo-Choo City ain't bad, but.....on the other side is much mo' bettah!
You’ve been all over, that’s for sure! Don’t get me wrong, I love Nashville area as well. It’s all just so purty out that way!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
You’ve been all over, that’s for sure! Don’t get me wrong, I love Nashville area as well. It’s all just so purty out that way!
When ya come thru (or near) you're invited to come by and do as Jerry Scuggins would sing - "Set a spell, Take your shoes off.........y'hear?"