New reel coming in soon...

Discussion in 'Bull Moose Memorial Outdoor Activity Forum' started by ripjack13, May 18, 2020.

1. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    Well, not new, new, but new to me. Found it on ebay looking for trigger style reels. I love the concept of them. I have tried a pfluger, and a diawa but they didn't cast the line consistently for me.
    the pfluger....
    81vGcnHQS7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

the diawa....
    41PBm4M3OnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I tried all sorts of line with em and still no luck. I have an old open face reel from Quantum that has the quick fire release, that one works great. Then I saw this one....
    Screenshot_20200518-175311~2.png

It's an older Mitchell 5540 G. Its coming from Canada, so it'll be here in few weeks.
    Has anyone seen this kind before?
    How about the trigger style? Do you have any?

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Member Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    Nice looking reel. Let us know how ya like it. I've gotten into my bait casters the last couple of years. Took me a long while to figure out how to use them.

3. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    I have 2 of em. collecting dust. I tried those too. not really a fan of em.

4. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    I like bait casters, I've never had good luck with open-faced reels, just end up with bird's nests.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    I've always used open face mostly. When I first started with BC, the birds nests is what I got. I was on boat patrol one day and was talking to a guy we kne . His 12 year old son was flipping with a bc. I got to talking to him about not being able to use one. I got schooled by the 12 year old on how to set it up. Now I can use it! Pretty sad.

• Like Like x 3
    • +Karma +Karma x 2
  6. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    I need to look into seeing how its done with bait casters. I have a real good diawa that cost the wife a pretty penny to get me it for fathers day. So I need to keep it aroun, but the other I think I'm going to get rid of. Maybe make a local trade down at the baitshop.

7. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    I know what you mean. I have a pretty penny in mine!

• Like Like x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  8. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    My diawa....

0518201816_HDR.jpg 0518201816a_HDR.jpg 0518201817_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  9. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    and the abu....

0518201815_HDR.jpg 0518201815a_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  10. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    I had an Abu just like that. It's actually a good reel. But that Diawa is NICE!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Eric Rorabaugh

First name:
    Eric
    I use braided line one mine. If I do get a birds nest, it makes it easier to get out

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    I have braided on the diawa. Spyder line. I think it is 10 lb. I'd have to look in my tackle box to be sure....

13. Ray D

Ray D Member Full Member

First name:
    Ray
    Crank it up to 10 and start using it with a fairly heavy lure/weight. You won’t be able to cast it far but you won’t have to deal with the dreaded back lash. As you get comfortable start backing off on resistance. Before you know it you will have it down to 1 or 2 and be casting it like a Bill Dance. lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    I've used all 3 and have a couple like the Mitchell still. I like it, does what its suppose to do!

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  15. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Any tips on using the mitchell? Lures that work the best and or line?

16. gman2431

First name:
    cody
    It will cast about anything ya want! I'm very picky on line... pline cxx is one of my favorites, suffix pro mix cant be beat for being supple.

Best thing, and something I do with all my reels no matter style, is to give the spool with fresh line a soak in warm water. It will condition the line to the spool and you get less backlashes etc.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    I have a pretty good investment in open face spinning reals. Upgraded mine to mostly quantums; with the trigger like above. I still don't use them very well as I really got into fly fishing. However, you have be prepared!!!!!! I do have dad's Abu; about 40 years; great in its day but not sure it is really worth anything. Have felt good and caught a few fish on it. I just never learned how to bass fish; lose more hardware than anything. Then one visit to my sisters I was only out for a few hours, slight drizzle, cool (springtime before the spawn; I think) and got 2 on dad's old rod. That was a good day...…….

But Marc, you reminded me of days way long gone; Mom and I had the old closed face Johnson's

• Like Like x 1
  18. gman2431

First name:
    cody
    Those old abus are still great and super easy to work on. Dont give up on it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  19. FLQuacker

FLQuacker Member Full Member

First name:
    Wayne
    Lot of aggravation with reels is NOT getting it paired with a good rod. Particularly the guide train. Mostly fish inshore sw and the newer reduction train systems on guides is the cats meow for spinning reels. I'm using a guide set that looks like a set that should be on a bait caster outfit. Line slap created by big 1st guides is the #1 reason for trouble with spinning reels.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Garry, I'm curious as to which ones you have? I just learned that the Mitchell reel is a full control triggers, meant to control the drag system on the spool, not a casting mechanism like the hypercast quantums I have been looking for. Could you post up some pix of yours?

Current Time: 8:39 PM