New rikon lathe?

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
OK y'all ain't getting what I'm asking. If I expand it to the right because I want to turn a 31" platter and move my tailstock all the way to the left on the upper bed (cuz I'm doing a platter) where does my banjo go. If you are going to tell me "on the lower bed" I got that! My question back to you would be how does it get to the lower bed. The only lathe I've work with is a PSI midi lathe and to get the banjo on and off you have to come in from the far right side after removing the tailstock. Do big lathe banjos install differently?
:popcorn: Will have to see in action I guess.

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
If you look at the picture closely, it looks like there might be an extra wide portion of the ways just before the gap in the ways. It would make setting the banjo in place pretty easy it it had the round clamp .

I made a Steady Rest, and an Articulated Arm hollower that can be put in between centers without removing either the banjo or the tail stock. I thought I'd come up with something pretty nifty, but another member of Tucson's turning club did the same thing. Only difference was his was two pieces welded, and mine was one piece machined. ............... Jerry (in Tucson)

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Ok, so here's a question... what does this lathe offer over a
lathe with a 31" throw and a 40" bed? I get that it saves 20" in floor space, but is that really that big a deal for people, especially if you lose that space anyway when you are turning something that long?

Another thought -I'm sure the bed locks down well no matter what position it is in, but my logic tells me that it will still not be as rigid as a solid one piece bed.

As to price, I can't imagine it will be as cheap as other lathes in the ~25" size range, how can it with the added mechanicals? Ive got to believe it will be priced right along the lathes in the 30" size, and maybe a little more because of the "space saving mechanicals".

I may be all wet with these comments, I've only been turning a couple of years on a midi, and I have space for a 8' bed lathe if I wanted one and could afford it.....

Last edited:

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, so here's a question... what does this lathe offer over a
lathe with a 31" throw and a 40" bed? I get that it saves 20" in floor space, but is that really that big a deal for people, especially if you lose that space anyway when you are turning something that long?

Another thought -I'm sure the bed locks down well no matter what position it is in, but my logic tells me that it will still not be as rigid as a solid one piece bed.

As to price, I can't imagine it will be as cheap as other lathes in the ~25" size range, how can it with the added mechanicals? Ive got to believe it will be priced right along the lathes in the 30" size, and maybe a little more because of the "space saving mechanicals".

I may be all wet with these comments, I've only been turning a couple of years on a midi, and I have space for a 8' bed lathe if I wanted one and could afford it.....

I agree with you 100%, I don’t think it’ll be cheap. But rikon has very fair prices for their equipment I think. I have a laguna midi now, and for a midi that thing was expensive. I’d like to turn wider, not necessarily longer, and the 2436 is expensive as hell lol. I also do have a very small shop, and worst part is it’s in the basement of my house, with no outside entry and down about 14 stairs. My friend and I used a hand truck and brought my new rikon 10-326 bandsaw down the stairs last weekend. It was in pieces, but still very heavy, and It was NOT fun lol. So I can only imagine how it’ll be bouncing a huge lathe down the stairs. Hopefully I can go down piece by piece. Oh well, we will have to wait and see what the price brings, and if not I’ll just save for the laguna or look at the grizzly 21”x42” or get something used. Who knows!

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
With the 70-305 (1.5hp, 16" swing) priced at $2500, I can't imagine the new one is going to be under $3500. Purely a WAG on my part.

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
With the 70-305 (1.5hp, 16" swing) priced at $2500, I can't imagine the new one is going to be under $3500. Purely a WAG on my part.

I wasn’t Sure how much rikon lathes actually go
For. I know the regular midi lathes are a good price, so with the wide swing, long bed and all the bells and whistles, $3500 sounds about right maybe. It’ll compete with the laguna 2436 at that point.

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
And the control box has magnets so you can put it wherever you want.

watch video til the end
I haven’t seen this video yet, that is pretty awesome! Pinterest is the only place that seems to have videos of this thing. I’m surprised the rikon website doesn’t have some teasers on the page with the info about the lathe, to get people excited and want to buy it.

RexB

Sweet Gum natural edge bowl
Reaction score
First name
Rex
I just called Rikon on Friday and they told me that the price would be 3799. Also said the top bed was steel and lower one was cast. Currently only two made, pre production models and testing. Also said it would be April before anyone would start getting them.
It weighs 760 pounds, I believe, not positive. Also to move the bed required electricity. No tail swing away yet.
This was all from Rikon 800 number, hope that helps. I was considering one but the cost is more than I expected.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Wow, the weight is on par with a PM3520...that’s good. Price sounds reasonable, if quality and reviews are positive it should be a good value.

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
Wow I’m pretty surprised that it’s that much since rikon has very reasonable prices. I mean it’s a whole lot of machine for the price though. I was hoping it would be less, but it’ll probably give the laguna 2436 a run for the money. Looks like I’ll have to get the grizzly!

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Don't you know it! Every time I get a new tool or machine along comes something new. Looks interesting, I'm going to give it a good look when it comes out

RexB

Reaction score
First name
Rex
Just talked to Woodcraft by phone and they confirmed the price at roughly 3800 but delivery probably not till July...

RexB

Reaction score
First name
Rex
Here is what I sent to Rikon Website for my questions on Rikon 70-3040:

I'm a disabled Veteran who is interested in one of your new lathes, 70-3040. I know that it is new and will have growing pains and possible issues.
My question is this: where in my area is a Rikon repair facility if the lathe will need to be repaired as I'm unable to those things. I live East of Orlando, FL.

Here is their response:

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, RIKON does not have any field technicians or dedicated repair facilities. We are available for technical support via email and phone, however if repairs are needed in-person, we would need to reach out to the local dealer to try and find a service person in the local area.

Hope this helps answers anyone has...