New spoon carver from Texas

LittleFoot

Reaction score
First name
Zane
Hey Everyone! My name is Zane and I live in Denton, Texas. I’m fairly new to woodworking and my main interest is in using hand tools. I recently started carving spoons and I became addicted instantly. I joined mostly because I’m looking for a good source of green wood that will work for my projects, but I’m also looking forward to being part of the community and getting some good feedback/advice. I’ll include some pictures of a couple spoons I’ve done recently.

A497482E-4C0F-4189-A54F-C7F2F03E0E23.jpeg

DCCD2DAC-CB95-4246-BF16-7A242584898F.jpeg

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
First let me say welcome from Virginia. Now I have to say...dang another Texan! We are covered up with Texans here. :lol2:

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Welcome from down south in Houston! We look forward to sharing lots of advice. :haggle:

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
I agree about the spoons! What hand tools do you like to use?

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Zane, Welcome from San Antonio! My daughter went to UNT, I like Denton! Very nice spoons man.
I'm sure you'll find wood you can use here. @Eric Rorabaugh is a dam Yankee but he's got some good stuff that's green.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Welcome Zane. Glad to have you. As Barry mentioned, I sell dozens of boxes of spoon and utensil carving wood on my Etsy site and to others here. Let me know if interested. I had no idea how many spoon and utensil carvers there are in the USA until I started listing boxes for sale.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Howdy Zane, welcome to the club....