• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

New time waster

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I like that layout paper. Good idea. I used a bunch of old cups when I did my holley 390. Good times.
Do you have a time frame you're aiming to be completed? Or just going as it goes?
When I was looking for a Seven, the intent was a future project - but this one came up sooner than I expected to find one, and in much more original condition. So, I'm just working through the mechanicals to get it roadworthy and usable, and to determine whether anything major needs to be done. If not, I'll just use it and tinker along the way.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Starter worked just fine, so will get back to tuning - but got in a little test drive and also started learning how to better capture car sound.

Needed a break from mechanical so fitted and installed a tonneau cover.

IMG_20200823_172412.jpg

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Geez, it has been longer than I thought, so I'll give the abbreviated version. Enjoyed a nice couple of months driving and got it running really well, though I thought something was still not quite right. I invited a local mechanic that has worked on vintage racecars for years to come take a look at it with me last November, and we found a weak valve spring on #3. With that finding and not knowing the full history on the engine, I decided it would be worth pulling the engine and taking it apart to really inspect all the bits. Overall not horrible, but did find a little corrosion/pitting in a couple cylinder walls so made the next decision to have the cylinders bored and replace the pistons - and a full rebuild (my first!). As you might expect with a 55 year old engine, finding some of the bits I needed took a little time and the project had several stops and starts - but I finally got the engine reassembled and back in the car last weekend. Another day or two of getting things hooked back up and I should be ready to see if it runs (or if it blows up due to my incompetence!). Following are a few pictures along the way for the fellow motorhead junkies.

engineout1.jpg

20210130_111907.jpg

blockandheadpainted.jpg

IMG_20210916_201619.jpg

20210926_170129.jpg

20211009_161442.jpg

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
What a cool project Henry! Pleasure in doing it.... And pleasure in enjoying the results!

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I really have no idea, and it has been stop and start and doing different things (rebuilt gearbox, shock absorbers, and other bits and also polished up the aluminum) so hard to estimate time just on the engine rebuild. And, I'm learning as I go, so I'm slow and not infrequently have to do something more than once. Overall, on average I'd guess I've committed a couple full days each month over the last year - maybe 200-250 hours?