New time waster

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nearly 5 months later it is finally headed back in, after a full rebuild of the transmission (another 1st for me) and a little cleanup. Whether it will ever run again is anyone's guess!

20190907_144648.jpg

20190907_144703.jpg

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Update overdue, but got everything back together and really happy with how it is running! I need to get it on a dyno/rolling road to get it fine-tuned but really very pleased. Still haven't built and set-up a shop for my woodworking equipment, though we finally sold our old house (wasn't even going to consider investing more until that happened) so can start thinking about it now. In the meantime, the car mechanic bug has really bit and I've added another project to my list.

smaller2.jpg

smaller3.jpg

Like my other, its an old Lotus - this time a 1965 Seven. Hasn't been driven in at least 5-6 years, likely longer. Turns over and runs better than expected, but all brakes and suspension bits need to be rebuilt or replaced to really test it. Fortunately, these cars are pretty simple and it shares a good number of parts with my Elan.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
It's been a lot of work to this point, but the brake and clutch systems and front/rear suspension have been almost entirely taken apart and rebuilt (the exception are the shock/spring combinations) and was able to get it out briefly for a trip around the block to begin identifying bigger needs. Next step is plugs, timing, and learning to tune Weber carbs.

coolingoff.jpg

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Really neat, Henry. But neither has any wood, unless that steering wheel is.

Take a break, have a single malt!

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Really neat, Henry. But neither has any wood, unless that steering wheel is.

Take a break, have a single malt!
The steering wheel is, the only reason I can post here! I also had a nice scotch tonight - the weather is getting a bit warm for my preferred smoky/peaty islay scotches, so had the Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. Glenmorangie makes a heckuva good scotch, and this particular one was no let-down,

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
One of my new favorites is Kilchoman Loch Gorm, second newest distillery on Islay. Nice, gentle smoke touch for the few cooler nights yet. I haven’t seen this bottling from them here. Picked this one up at Heathrow in December. I’ve not had the Glenmorangie.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Yep- just like my Triumph TR-4 -developed problems even when it was just sitting.
Henry- are you related to Kenbo

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
New to this thread. Wow, so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love those things. Really like your carb organizing box. I play with old gold wings and tearing down my first set of 4 drove me nuts just because of trying to keep things organized. I am very lucky, there is a guy in NC that has actually remanufactured a lot of the parts with much better materials. Not sure anyone is doing that with the older Brit stuff such as was all through many these makes. I agree with Mike, seemed like just sitting there they break. Especially Lucas electrical parts.

never owned one...……..yet...……...keep hoping like you originally, would just like a simple MG to start with. I acquired a Miata about 5 years ago from a friend. I finally figured out what a "sports car" was, the real definition in my mind at least, going to a vintage car race back in …...gee, 1991. I had been a muscle car guy (still am), finally got into enjoying road racing (the old Jack Roush team), and then the sports car thing finally clicked. Had a friend with a great TR-6, ex bro in law had a GT6 (long before I knew what to appreciate) and such, but that vintage race really changed my view of things!!!!!

Very cool, best wishes on these projects!!!!

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Was helping @Brink give @ripjack13 a hard time about his unique talent making electrical appliances spontaneously combust, and Marc reminded me I haven't updated in a while, so here goes.

Learning to tune the carburetors turned into fully rebuilding them - where the Elan had Strombergs the Seven has dual Weber 40DCOEs, a more complicated carburetor but not terribly difficult to pull apart and put back together.

Before:
carb1.jpg

carbbrokenscrew.jpg

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
And reinstalled...

20200517_105200 1.jpg

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
With that behind me, I started working on tuning, and with some help from others was getting pretty close when I had starter problems. Didn't require much diagnostic testing to determine the problem...

Starter.jpg

I'd planned to make starter and generator disassembly and cleanup (and rebuild if necessary) projects for the winter, but this obviously moved the starter motor up. The date code (5-65) suggested it could be the original, and on disassembly based on the wear on the bushes supported the possibility. Finding bits has been a challenge, but finally gathered all I needed this past weekend and got it back together for a successful bench test. We'll see how it does under load when I can get it reinstalled one of the next couple of weekends.

20200809_171303.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I like that layout paper. Good idea. I used a bunch of old cups when I did my holley 390. Good times.
Do you have a time frame you're aiming to be completed? Or just going as it goes?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Was helping @Brink give @ripjack13 a hard time about his unique talent making electrical appliances spontaneously combust,

My new generator came in today too. I haven't put gas in it yet. I had to charge up the battery first. So far so good!

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
My new generator came in today too. I haven't put gas in it yet. I had to charge up the battery first. So far so good!
If you're half as successful turning combustion into electricity as you are electricity into combustion, you'll be able to power the block! :sofa:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
If you're half as successful turning combustion into electricity as you are electricity into combustion, you'll be able to power the block! :sofa:

Ah yes. Being half good is better than being no good...