New to the forum, a puzzling piece

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
I've haven't seen mulberry wood here YET so I didn't know it was yellow like that. I learnt sumthin new tuday!

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I've haven't seen mulberry wood here YET so I didn't know it was yellow like that. I learnt sumthin new tuday!
Well, it's only yellow when freshly cut.

pretty new and very old
upload_2020-2-20_18-36-13.png

anixiwood

Reaction score
First name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's internal wood, but still a little bit wet. It's been outside all winter. I don't have a way to measure moisture, so I'll just guess that it's around 15%????

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Excellent. Mulberry it is.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Paul,
That settles it then, thank you all for the help. Now's the tough part: what to do with it ;)
Well, you said you do part time Luthier work... Mulberry has some interesting working properties. Very different from other things I've worked. I'm sure it would make beautiful accent pieces and such. I'd be curious what kind of tonal properties it would have but if there is any part of woodworking I know the least (read nothing) about, its Luthier work. Still, would love to have a go at making a violin one day.

anixiwood

Reaction score
First name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, well, Paul aint gettin any of it! ;)
All seriousness aside, I'd really like to do some research on if Mulberry would make a good tonewood. I agree that it would make great accent pieces on ukuleles, but, I think it might be capable of more. I'm also a pipe maker, tobacco that is. I've read that mulberry is safe to use with tobacco, and it actually looks pretty good. Some say that it might even look interesting when sand-blasted! I'll cut me some blocks and fiddle with it some...Sorry Paul...